WAG Falls on beam... Please help settle a debate w/DD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

l.c.o

Proud Parent
If a gymnast falls on beam, and falls again while remounting (Both hands and 1-2 feet touch the beam in a squat, then gymnast comes right back off), does that count as two falls, or one?

If a gymnast falls on beam, and falls again while remounting (Both hands and 1-2 feet touch the beam in a squat, then gymnast comes right back off), does that count as two falls, or one?

I wouldn't think it counts as a fall. As a timer, I wouldn't start time until they were up on the beam and start their next move.

I wouldn't think it counts as a fall. As a timer, I wouldn't start time until they were up on the beam and start their next move.

That's my argument! I've timed beam, and never restarted time until the gymnast remounted and started moving again, but DD keeps insisting she thinks it counts as another fall. ;)

This happened to dd one year. She attempted to mount after a fall, got one knee or foot on (can't remember) and came right back off. She was deducted for 2 falls.

@gymgal - Thanks!!

It was hard to tell with DD's score, being her first optional meet. I was shocked when I overheard DD telling a friend that she had three falls, rather than two. With two definite falls and a long pause before throwing her series, it could totally go either way. :)

I mean, it makes no difference to me either way, but the debate is fun.

At least DD can fall twice next meet and count it an improvement! ;) :p

It says specifically in the code that if a gymnast falls off the beam and then attempts to re-mount the beam and falls again before resuming the timing of the routine, the deduction will be .5 for the second fall.

Thanks everyone!!

DD's score suddenly seems a bit impressive! LOL.

Fall down three times, mount beam four will be our new motto. :)

I would say two as well, but I'm just a mom. My dd has the mount where she straddle splits the beam. She touched the beam at one meet and went to jump up, but kind of popped her feet off the ground once, came back down and popped up again quickly into her splits and was deducted for a fall.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back