WAG Favorite Gymnast Biographies?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Quadqueen

Proud Parent
What are your/your DD's favorite gymnast biographies? My DD read the Gabby Douglas and Nadia Comaneci biographies. I got her the Shawn Johnson autobiography for Christmas, but I'm looking for another. I was considering Kerri Strug, because she is one of the older gymnasts DD is familiar with. Amazon's reviews for the Kim Zmeskal book were not good. I plan to stay away from the Jennifer Sey and Dominique Moceanu books for a while since I know those have some material that aren't appropriate for a 10 year old.

Just bought my daughter Gabby's book. Lots of photos and info. Really cute inspiring book.

i have read Gabby Douglas, Shawn Johnson and Louis Smith<- out of all of them i enjoyed Louis Smiths best but that might be because i personally know some of the people he talks about i the book :)

Is Nadia's good? I bought it for my dd for Christmas. She is currently reading Gabbys and has read Shawn.

What are your/your DD's favorite gymnast biographies? My DD read the Gabby Douglas and Nadia Comaneci biographies. I got her the Shawn Johnson autobiography for Christmas, but I'm looking for another. I was considering Kerri Strug, because she is one of the older gymnasts DD is familiar with. Amazon's reviews for the Kim Zmeskal book were not good. I plan to stay away from the Jennifer Sey and Dominique Moceanu books for a while since I know those have some material that aren't appropriate for a 10 year old.

Nadia's is ok. The writing style is a little different...my DD definitely didn't read it all in one sitting like she did with Gabby's book. I actually bought the Nadia book for myself ;).

Nadia's is ok. The writing style is a little different...my DD definitely didn't read it all in one sitting like she did with Gabby's book. I actually bought the Nadia book for myself ;).
I read Nadia myself too, it seems to be more geared towards adults. It talks a lot about her defecting to the U.S. Very political. But it's very interesting, I liked it! DD and I loved Gabby's book, she has two...Grace, Gold and Glory and there is another one with more pictures (I forgot the name). They're both very good. We enjoyed Shawn Johnson's too.

These aren't autobiographies, but have you looked at the Go-for-Gold Gymnasts series? It's written by Dominique Moceanu and Alicia Thompson. I haven't read them myself, but I really want to.

I recall reading a Mary Lou Retton autobiography when I was maybe 12 or 13? I don't think it had anything particularly controversial in it, but I read it a very long time ago and Mary Lou did train in the 70s and 80s, so you know, the training environment wasn't what it is today. It might be out of print by now but I bet you could pick up a used copy. I also remember reading Nadia's book at about that age and yes, it is pretty heavy on Cold War politics but I was an odd child and found that stuff fascinating.

There's also Unfavorable Odds, by Kim Hamilton Anthony. It is very very very heavy on religion but Kim's story is pretty interesting in and of itself when you get past the heavy handed message.

The tween series that Moceanu wrote, as mentioned by another poster, would be perfect if she hasn't read them yet. There was also an old gymnastics series published in the 90s that I read at about her age, I think it was just called "The Gymnasts." Maybe you could find a few of those books? Ahhh ... Amazon has them! http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Gym...8&qid=1383383878&sr=8-2&keywords=the+gymnasts I loved these books as a kid!

I just picked up all of my gym-related books from my parents house, I'll have to dig through them and see what I recall.
I know I enjoyed the biographies by Krista Quiner around that age- Dominique Moceanu, Kim Zmeskal, and Shannon Miller. Lots of good gym stories and geared towards a younger audience. Is the Nadia Comaneci book you are talking about the Letters to a Young Gymnast one? I found it a bit dry when I attempted to read it, but it was also bedtime reading so I probably wasn't reading very closely.
I really enjoyed the Kim Anthony book, but I think it's probably better suited to an older audience.

She has read the Dominique Moceanu series. Yes, the Nadia book is the Letters to a Young Gymnast one. Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

funny....giant ad on the side of my CB page for "The Gymnastics Series" written by a former U of Alabama gymnast. The first two books came out last year, the third one this year. They look good and have good reviews on Amazon!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back