Favorite protein bars and drinks?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

samsmama

Proud Parent
Protein bars and shakes are major staples for DS, but it's hard to find ones he likes and when we do, he eventually gets tired of them. I haven't had much luck with the hard-core body builder-type brands, but if you have found any that are particularly good, please post. I do make shakes at home, but packaged ones are handy for practice and meets.

So far his favorites are...

Bars:
Luna Protein Mint Chocolate Chip
Fiber One Protein Caramel Nut
Nature Valley Protein Peanut and Dark Chocolate

Shakes:
Post Goodness Mocha (new one I just found)
Odwalla Chocolate Protein
Odwalla Mango Protein

Thanks!

I am not a fan of packaged foods, although many peopel use them so I am not judging.

Here are the ingredients :
NV_Protein_Bar_Peanut_Butter_Dark_Chocolate.jpg

I avoid Soy as all US soy is GM, I avoid palm oil as virgin rain forest is chopped down to plant oil palm plantations, and Corn syrup, glycerin, honey and maltodextrin are all sugars, which I avoid for my gymmie as much as possible as she has bad teeth.

Have you tried the no bake protein bites posted on the forum ? Anything you can make yourself is going to be much healthier.

I typically do a scoop of each of these for my kids, mixed with some sort of liquid (it varies: milk, coconut water, non-dairy milks) and a half a frozen avocado, half a frozen banana, and some kale or baby spinach... To them, it's a chocolate shake- a treat, and o really can't complain about the ingredients..

Amazing Grass Kidz Superfoods, chocolate
Sunwarrior Protein, Natural
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1421169059.112800.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1421169074.202406.jpg

I try to avoid those things. It can be especially hard on a kid's body to get that much protein and salt.

Also, our thin highly active children need fat and carbs, so be careful that you aren't making this diet imbalanced by giving him lots of bars and protein drinks. Hi protein low fat/carb could lead to him getting skinnier!

My kids like the drinkable yogurts we find at the Mexican grocery stores. But even those are a treat.

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 9.49.22 AM.png

Well, he does eat other things! Bars/shakes are mostly for practice and meets. I appreciate and admire the anti-packaging stance, but making everything from scratch is not a reasonable option for me right now as much as I might wish it were. That's why I was asking for experience with pre-made items.

Also, I do read the labels on the things I buy him. I know they aren't always ideal, but I try to be as responsible as possible.

again - no judgement, just the way I was brought up - plus its a lot cheaper and tastier.

As @sce says something with more calories will help him build up more, in fact I was talking to a nutritionist friend today ( about baby food and small person food) and she was saying that too much protein in a diet can actually hamper the laying on of muscle !

How about whole milk products ? Flapjacks, cake, cheese bars, mixed nuts

The only protein bar my dd likes are the Oh Yeah brand, they are almost $4/bar here so its not very often that we buy them. I have tried almost everyone out there, just to have something on hand for in a pinch, but no luck, until those no bake protein bites. They are a hit! They are really easy to change up to suit everyone's taste. We did almond butter, honey, oats, chia, hemp hearts and some cocoa powder.

For my ds, we have spent years with nutritionists, etc. First, try to stay away from the protein shakes, etc, that are made for adults. They have too much protein in them for the kiddos.

For D for meets, we do granola, trail mix, banana, nuts (which I know some can't do), jerky, squeeze applesauce, fruit leather, and stuff like that.

Reactions: sce
Well, he does eat other things! Bars/shakes are mostly for practice and meets. I appreciate and admire the anti-packaging stance, but making everything from scratch is not a reasonable option for me right now as much as I might wish it were. That's why I was asking for experience with pre-made items.

Also, I do read the labels on the things I buy him. I know they aren't always ideal, but I try to be as responsible as possible.
I'm not against packed stuff, just specifically the high protein stuff, as it can cause an imbalance and be dangerous for growing bodies. My ds eats a lot of high carb stuff during meets (fruit snacks, crackers, applesauce pouch etc.). It gives quick energy. He eats protein before and after.

For my ds, we have spent years with nutritionists, etc. First, try to stay away from the protein shakes, etc, that are made for adults. They have too much protein in them for the kiddos.

For D for meets, we do granola, trail mix, banana, nuts (which I know some can't do), jerky, squeeze applesauce, fruit leather, and stuff like that.
Exactly. But we also have to avoid nut products as a boy on the team is highly allergic.

Right. We have one boy on team who is, but the mom does not ask anyone to avoid. She said that the world was not nut free...haha. We do avoid them if he is working out with this boy.

Right. We have one boy on team who is, but the mom does not ask anyone to avoid. She said that the world was not nut free...haha. We do avoid them if he is working out with this boy.
This boy is the same level as ds and we sometimes drive him home, so we avoid nuts around him as much as possible. Don't want to deal with a reaction on my watch!

I eat Premier Protein shakes, they have 30 grams of protein, 50% daily value in calcium, 3 grams of fat, and 160 calories. You can go on their website if you're interested in more nutritional information. They have vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry cream flavors. I love them and would definitely recommend them! I've also heard they have protein bars too, but do not know what they taste like. Their website is http://www.premierprotein.com/.

I do not work for this company, but love their product and recommend them!

The only protein bar my dd likes are the Oh Yeah brand, they are almost $4/bar here so its not very often that we buy them. I have tried almost everyone out there, just to have something on hand for in a pinch, but no luck, until those no bake protein bites. They are a hit! They are really easy to change up to suit everyone's taste. We did almond butter, honey, oats, chia, hemp hearts and some cocoa powder.

OH YEAH are delicious. Have you seen the 1/2 size ones? They are still 200-ish calories. They were on sale 10 for $10 yesterday and I stocked up. My kids love the one that tastes like snickers.

OH YEAH are delicious. Have you seen the 1/2 size ones? They are still 200-ish calories. They were on sale 10 for $10 yesterday and I stocked up. My kids love the one that tastes like snickers.
I have never seen the half size ones, where do you get them?

Thanks! I will look for those. I went to Whole Foods yesterday and bought about a dozen different bars for DS to try to see if we can replace the less-healthy ones he likes. He is excited to have a little taste test!

I typically do a scoop of each of these for my kids, mixed with some sort of liquid (it varies: milk, coconut water, non-dairy milks) and a half a frozen avocado, half a frozen banana, and some kale or baby spinach... To them, it's a chocolate shake- a treat, and o really can't complain about the ingredients..

Amazing Grass Kidz Superfoods, chocolate
Sunwarrior Protein, Natural
View attachment 5242View attachment 5243

We use this too :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back