Fear in gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really like gymnastics but I can't completely enjoy it because I'm scarred. I can barely stand up on the higher bbeam while other girls in my group are doing cartwheels and back walkovers. I'm not afraid of heights so I don't really know what I am afraid of. I just know I can't concentrate properly on doing some skills when I'm nervous. The same thing happens on the higher bar. But on the bar I'm just really scarred of landing on my head or neck. I hope someone can give me tips on how to forget abou my fears to be able to train better and enjoy the sport more. Thank you!

your fears are just a bit irrational. you have to give it a go and practice for awhile for those 'feelings and thoughts' to diminish. otherwise, you become a self-fulfilling prophecy.:)

It is normal to be scared of some skills, but not so scared that you can't just stand on the beam. If you are going for a skill, what I find helps fear is to close your eyes and picture yourself doing the skill perfectly. I know it sounds silly, but it helps. For bars, unless you are training something like flyaways, which I am guessing you are not, just don't let go and you won't land on your head! :D
And dunno is right. Yeah, you can be scared of breaking your neck if you are doing crazy flips. But the chances of that happening from walking on the beam are pretty slim.
And practice makes perfect!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back