WAG Fear Problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

EmoryT

Gymnast
So almost a year ago, I started getting problems with fear in gymnastics. I had just competed level 5, and I switched gyms over the summer. The gym that I went to was really stressful for me and I started losing skills. I even lost my roundoff back handspring. I went back to my old gym and got over it, but ever since then, it's been an ongoing struggle. Somedays I can do a double back and the next day I need a sot to do a roundoff back handspring. I got my giants by myself a month ago, but the next day I was too scared to do them and I haven't done it since then. I really don't want to quit gymnastics but I'm tired of not knowing wether I will be able to go for any of my skills every time I go to practice. It is very stressful and I just want to go back to when gymnastics was fun and I was fearless. Although I have gotten some new skills, I am overall at a lower skill level than I was at last year because of all of the mental problems I am having. If anyone has any tips, please let me know. Thank you :)

I can relate completely, over the past couple of yeasr my yurchenco was very inconsistent, I would do it onto a high resi in pit (stacked higher than the hard landing) but couldn't do it to hard without a coach standing there. it took a long time to get better but I just had to stop over thinking the skill, I would get so picky that when the round off felt weird I just wouldn't go. It takes time, last summer I came back from an injury and couldn't roundoff back handspring, but I just had to keep working at it and building on it, to tuck back, then straight, before twisting or double backs. you have to think about how each time you go you have a set number to do, for every one you don't do thats not helping you and just dropping your confidence lower. for me as soon as it clicked in my head that I had to do the skill for myself, I no longer needed a spot, because I was willing to commit to skill for myself, so I could compete it. I don't know if any of that made sense, but just stick at it :)

take a step back. Work other skills for a while. Get on strap bar for a month and just swing giants. Work roundoff set to mat stack. Standing BHS on Tumble track or wherever comfortable. You don't need to work the connection, you need to heal the mind.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back