Fear...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How did you conquer your first backhandspring? I can do a standing backhandspring and a ROBHS but I can't do them without a spotter or a belt... I tried to do them on the tumbletrack and I almost died, no, not really, but I jumped backward right onto my head. I can't get over it, -- so how did you? please relate stories, help and advice.

That sounds like something that you should work on with your coach(es). What do they have to say about it?

I'm not a coach, so no pointers here except that your arms have to be straight.

You're not a believer, yet.

Think about what you are doing. Every time that you do it "with a spot" are you walking away safe? Do you trust that you can do it alone? Why or why not?

You are not afraid of the skill, you are afraid of trusting yourself, trusting your technique, and ultimately the very same coaches who are spotting you.

If your coaches are saying you are ready, listen. Be ready, do the skill right, and feel how good it makes you feel to take that first independent leap towards bigger gymnastics. Listen to your body, take out the irrational and replace it with practice.

Good luck!

Ryan

Last edited:
i am agreeing with ryan completly. the coach really does nothing but tell you how to do it and meke you feel more comfortable you still have the same technique whether the coach is there or not. whether you let you imagineation freak you out or not is a different story

When I am scared of a skill, I think of one or two things that will make the skill turn out "all right". For my standing BHS, it was straight arms and jumping hard. I told myself that if I was tight and I jumped and had straight arms, I wouldn't get hurt. The BHS might not be super good, but I would be fine. Once I learned to focus like this, it was much easier than to just "throw it" and get scared.

It took me three or four years to get my BHS on tramp. Don't worry. Remember, landing on your nose doesn't hurt as much as you think it does.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back