WAG Feedback for DD's Lvl 6 Vault?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vans2

Proud Parent
Hi Chalk Bucket friends! I was hoping experienced parents, gymnasts, coaches, judges would take a look at my DDs lvl 6 vault. This was at their practice meet with no scores given. All they did was tell you who came in 1st place (which she did not). I understand you can't really see the spring board because it is obstructed by other gymnasts so it might be hard to provide feedback with these two videos.

I am really looking to find out how much of a deduction the step out is on the landing. She pretty much always steps out like this. And anything else that might need to be fixed?

Attempt #1:

Attempt #2:

Not a judge but though it looked great- maybe a bit larger block off the table but that step shouldn't be too costly- maybe .2 or.3- I'd say that vault is in the low-mid 9s for sure!

Also not a judge or coach, just a parent, but there was probably a couple tenths for her angle off the table as she is past vertical a bit. The step I would think is a large step which I think is .3. Other than that it looks nice. I think there is also a few tenths in dynamics, height and length. That should all improve with confidence and power as the season progresses. I would put it right around a nine.

Her run isn't quite as aggressive as it could be. My dd used to have this problem and her coach would always tell her that running faster would fix a lot of those dynamic, height, and length issues. I showed her video of the elite girls run and how you could see on their faces how much effort they were putting into the run and that seemed to help her understand.

The run isn't judged of course, but my dd always says that how well vault goes depends directly on how fast she runs.

Great start to the season. Good luck to her!

That is a .30 step for sure. She is also is a bit off from vertical when hitting and leaving the table - maybe up to .60 between the two. Also some arch off the table and lack of repulsion. She has a beautiful line and a little cleanup in that vault and it will be a beauty!!

I assume there is no overarm deductions anymore

There are some body shape issues onto the table (shoulder and hip angle) Easier to see if you slow it down.
- click on the little settings 'gear' at the bottom right of the player
- select the speed option - 0.5 or 0.25

She sees proficient enough with the vault, I am sure the coach is working on making it stronger

I thought her vault was very pretty, it looked great! Just ask the coach how she can clean up a few things like the step and it will be great!

The best advice I can give you is if she block a little bit higher/ harder she will have an easier time correcting, it worked for me but her vault is great!

That is a .30 step for sure. She is also is a bit off from vertical when hitting and leaving the table - maybe up to .60 between the two. Also some arch off the table and lack of repulsion. She has a beautiful line and a little cleanup in that vault and it will be a beauty!!

There aren't any .3 steps, just .1 or .2.

She is slightly arched coming off the vault. This is the best example I've ever seen - helped me to understand what a good vault was.

That was awesome. And my kid doesn't look any where close to that o_O

Amplitude, shapes here and there, angles on the table and the step are all deductions.
Not sure if it helps but I try to have my kids hit the board while circling their arms to get more power and a better block.
This is a good example of the amplitude. This was a warm up for a more difficult vault but you can get an idea of how high and far she gets:

Thanks everyone! All very helpful info! This is one of her stronger events, but she's pretty much capped off making any more progress since lvl 4. It looks the same as it did two levels ago, so at this point getting into the fine details should make her aware of what needs to be fixed next.

We are aware of the step...you can't hide it. She'll have to figure out how to correct that.

And I can see what thefellowsmom was saying about the block off the table. It could be better. From the demo video of the athlete who scored the 9.9, my DD should literally barely touch the table. She pops off pretty good, but not like the 9.9 athlete.

I would expect that to score between an 8.9 and a 9.1 in level 6/7. The best vaulters in those levels will easily be 9.5+. She's going to get hit on dynamics and angles although her body tension is all right.

I didn't think her angle of repulsion was bad. Yes it's past vertical but not terribly so. My biggest deduction was on her height and the landing. Some body position and dynamics. I'm at a 9.3.

It's a very nice vault. She could block a little more, she was a little too arched and she was a bit off on her angle, then the step at the end. I would say it's a low 9 vault. If she runs faster and hits the board harder, it will giver her more power.
Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back