feedback requested to help improve routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi. My gymnast is a bit frustrated to be repeating level 4 (that darn kip!), so she would like to improve over last season's performances. She is, of course, working with her coaches on this. However, we are a small gym in only our second competitive season, and the girls do not work out as many hours as many gyms in the area do, so she could use all the input she can get. The videos here are from an early-season "critique" meet; unfortunately the critique the girls received was not all that specific. Clearly, there are some obvious form issues here and there. She is particularly interested in improving her floor scores. Any feedback, particularly from judges or coaches, is greatly appreciated.

This is the video of all events:
YouTube - SKGP at Princess Critique Gymnastics Meet (Level 4)

This is just floor with the floor music:
YouTube - SKGP Floor Routine at Princess Critique (Level 4)

Thanks in advance!

She looks good to me! If anything her split jump could use a little work, also her form (straight legs) on bars. I think her confidence on beam (tuck jump) is a little low. Just work on the splits and other stretching at home. :)

We are in a different part of the country and little bits of the routines can vary state to state in what the judges are focusing on, that said:
Floor
split jump -- higher and wider split
split leap -- wider split and even leg separation, bring back leg up higher
weight transfer -- should transfer weight from back foot to front with more of a rocking motion through 4th position, not a step to lunge then straighten action
Could exaggerate and extend more through the dance portions to improve the presentation. Overly a nice clean routine that scored about what I expected. Her biggest gain score-wise (at least it would be in our area) would be split jump and leap closer to 180. I know level 4 doesn't require it but it does set the routine apart and if other girls are doing it....

Beam
Mount -- continue the swing upward longer before bending knees to pull in to the squat stand
Heel Snap Turn -- keep foot squeezed tightly to the other leg during the turn
Leap -- higher, wider split
HS -- could hold back leg up higher in the lever on the way down
Arabesque/Scale -- tighten legs/knees
Pivot Turn -- stay on releve at end of turn

Bars
I would say the majority of the deductions here would be loose legs/ bent knees, extension/amplitude and rhythm.

Good luck to her, looks like she will have a great season!

Very graceful routines - she has a gorgeous toe point!

I noticed on beam especially that she could work on her stretch - when prepping for a turn for example, extending arms through the shoulders, lifting to high toe, and pulling in the belly.

All in all - very nice routines!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back