Parents Feeling like Coach is enabling my gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Threeanddone

Proud Parent
So, my daughter has been struggling here and there with mental block on double bhs back tucks. At the beginning of the season we got a new coach. Her old coaches (who are still at the gym) would spit if they felt it was really necessary, but tried other options first so that the girls didn’t become dependent on it. (They certainly would never offer a spot) unlike her new coach. She competed this weekend. All week in practice she looked confident and did well. As soon as she got to the meet the coach asked her “if she wanted a spot today.” Of course she jumped on it. My question is...how do I stop this? Of course if offered she is gonna accept, but then you can tell she feels bad about it after the fact. Also, you never know when this coach is going to be in a bad mood and tell her that she will have to scratch if she wants a spot. It’s so back and forth. All in all, it’s definitely a mental thing as far as “needing” that spot. Am I wrong for thinking that the she shouldn’t think that option exists?

So, my daughter has been struggling here and there with mental block on double bhs back tucks. At the beginning of the season we got a new coach. Her old coaches (who are still at the gym) would spit if they felt it was really necessary, but tried other options first so that the girls didn’t become dependent on it. (They certainly would never offer a spot) unlike her new coach. She competed this weekend. All week in practice she looked confident and did well. As soon as she got to the meet the coach asked her “if she wanted a spot today.” Of course she jumped on it. My question is...how do I stop this? Of course if offered she is gonna accept, but then you can tell she feels bad about it after the fact. Also, you never know when this coach is going to be in a bad mood and tell her that she will have to scratch if she wants a spot. It’s so back and forth. All in all, it’s definitely a mental thing as far as “needing” that spot. Am I wrong for thinking that the she shouldn’t think that option exists?
When I read “her coaches would spit if they felt it was necessary,” I had to stop and re-read it. I was so confused! I couldn’t figure out how that would help! :p The mental picture I had was hilarious! LOL!

Was your daughter spotted at the meet? When you say she was condident at practice, was she being spotted or was she confident and doing her skills without a spot.

If she was doing her skills and was confident without a spot at practice, I don’t know why the coach offered her a spot at the meets. So, may you have reason to wonder.

Was your daughter spotted at the meet? When you say she was condident at practice, was she being spotted or was she confident and doing her skills without a spot.

If she was doing her skills and was confident without a spot at practice, I don’t know why the coach offered her a spot at the meets. So, may you have reason to wonder.
Yes she was spotted at the meet yesterday. She hasn’t had a spot in practice for a couple of weeks. I’m feeling like had she not been asked it wouldn’t have been an issue. She’s 10 level 5. She is also always so down on herself after she does it. I wish I could attach the video.

The only other reason I can think of is perhaps the coach sensed apprehension on your daughter at performing the skill and so she offered her a spot. I think coaches in general prefer not to spot. They can get hit and it can be taxing on their body as well. So my guess is the coach is not ”enabling” your daughter. But if it concerns you, you should the coach why she was spotted.

The gymnastics community is rather small. If that is a picture of you, you might want reconsider using it. Folks and coaches from your gym could be members here. And right or wrong, they would likely not be OK with commenting on their coaching styles.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back