FHS conditioning help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When DD practices her FHS at gym, she often complains about her lower back hurting on the landings.

Is this a positioning error?, or does she need more lower back strength? Or both?

Any tips?

If she lands on her heels, the force will go up her legs and she'll feel it through her lower back. She could also not be tightening up her middle upon landing.

Or she could just be weak in the lower back, which would not surprise me at all from a WAG POV.

If she lands on her heels, the force will go up her legs and she'll feel it through her lower back. She could also not be tightening up her middle upon landing.

Or she could just be weak in the lower back, which would not surprise me at all from a WAG POV.

sorry what does POV stand for ?

To clarify, a lot of female gymnasts will have much weaker backs than male gymnasts, in my opinion.

Well, squeezing the stomach muscles takes pressure off of the back, because they are connected. She could also be landing awkwardly. Is her FHS good? Correct landing position? If so, then the problem could be strength, which I think is unlikely. Female anatomy is different from male anatomy in the hips and back, so it might just be the way her body is set. If so, there's not much you can do.

If the pain continues and her coaches say she is landing correctly, take her to a doctor. She could have scoliosis or some other back issue.

I've seen her DD's videos and she looks perfect, but I'm going to throw this out there anyway! My DD was occasionally, as she put it "twinging" her back on her FHS. We got a new elite level coach who took one look at her and said she was slightly rotating on her landing. Nothing that I could personally notice. All it took was working on that landing for one session and she's had no back pains since. Of course, now there's the knee pain, ankle pain, etc. to deal with!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back