FHS Full Vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I want to learn a fhs full vault for next season.

Right now, my coaches are having me do fhs half vaults.

However, I start twisting before my hands leave the table which,
even without the coach's clarification, I know is wrong. I know logically when to
twist and what to do, but the vault happens so fast!

Also, this is my first time twisting any skill...so everything is new to me...

Is there any drills or timers or something for this?

The most common drill I've seen is to do a handspring, block, clap your hands together, then twist. It forces you to get your hands off the table (and clap) before twisting.

Block-block drills may help, too. Try putting a 12" mat on the back half of the table with a Resi-pit behind the table. Do a handspring onto the vault, block and push up into a handstand on the 12" mat, then fall to your back. It will force you to get a good block which is crucial to completing this vault.

As a judge, I take a lot of deductions on most hand-fulls. I want to see a good block then a twist. If you twist early (as in on the table), one of the following will happen:
1. I will deduct around .3 for early twist and .3-.5 for the lack of block and .1-.5 in height and distance. Plus maybe an additional .3-.7 for the often incomplete twist and form issues that accompany an early twisting hand-full.
2. I will downgrade this vault to a 1/4-3/4 if the twist is really early which results in fewer deductions for twisting, but lowers the value of the vault. Block, height, distance and form deductions are the same.
Note: these are deductions per high school rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a girl doing the same vault with the same problem and I had her do a couple of different things to make her wait. First she did the fhs and after she landed she did a jump full turn. I also had her wait until she saw the wall behind the vault table before she twisted.

As for the clap after the block, I think thats a great idea and will definitely use that in my arsenal of tricks.

I LOVE that clapping idea. I tore my achilles tendon on a tsuk and then broke my ankle on a different tsuk (both in meets- fun fun) so I've reduced myself to twisting vaults. However, I twist wayyyy too early and have had my vault downgraded often. That clapping drill sounds like a good idea.

Yeah, I want to try that clapping thing too.

Although how do you see the wall when you're vaulting...
cuz I don't really see anything in particular...

Also, is trying the vault like the lvl 4 vault useful at all?
(Like doing the lvl 4 vault except you do the full twist because that is sort of
how I have been doing the halves only with my hands on the table...)

After you block off your hands and before you land on your feet, you can see the wall infront of you before you twist.

You don't have to see the wall, but picking a spot to look for so you know where you are at could help. The wall was just a suggestion.

Well, I guess I'll offer my progressions to a handspring 1/1 twist.

First, on a resi/porta pit...

1. Run and punch to handstand and fall to back, drop 1 arm and roll to belly

(Be sure to drop the arm opposite of the side that you're twisting towards
since you are twisting forward)

2. Run, punch to handstand, block, drop the arm, and try to twist to belly

3. Do #2 and then immediately roll to your back to complete the 1/1 twist

4. Run, punch to handstand, block, and complete the 1/1 twist

Simultaneously, on trampoline...

1. Perform back drop to stand (Be sure that you can do a good back drop)

2. Back drop to stand, drop 1 arm, jump 1/2 turn in forward twist direction

3. Back drop to immediate 1/2 turn and land

4. Back drop w/ 1/2 turn to land and then immediate jump 1/2 turn

5. Back drop to 1/1 twist and land

On a wedge mat into loose foam or resi pit...

1. Handspring - clap hands

2. Handspring - Land - Drop Arm - Jump 1/2

3. Handspring - 1/2 turn

4. Handspring - 1/2 - Land - Immediate jump 1/2

5. Handspring - 1/1 Twist

To the vault...

1. Handspring - Handstand Hop (Hands) Up To Mat Stack - Fall - Drop 1 Arm
and Roll To Belly - (Exactly Like The First Progression On The Resi Pit)

2. Handspring to Immediate 1/2 turn to belly on mat stack & roll to back

3. Handspring 1/1 up onto Mat Stack

4. Take out the mat stack....Handspring clap, land, jump 1/2

5. Handspring 1/2, jump 1/2

6. Handspring 1/1

Some of this stuff I'm working simultaneously. So, it seems like a lot of progressions, but many of these drills can be worked at the same time during a different vault circuit.

For example, I'll usually be working on each training apparatus (porta pit, trampoline, wedge/incline mat, and vault) simultaneously following the progressions in sequence at each training station depending upon where the gymnast is at.

This vault is pretty easy to develop if the gymnast is motivated to do it. Although it doesn't have the start value of a Tsuk or Yurchenko, it's a nice vault in my opinion even though the judges are too dumb to reward it when it's clearly done better than some Tsuks or Yurchenkos.

Anyway, hope these progressions help. Good Luck!

(Be sure to drop the arm opposite of the side that you're twisting towards
since you are twisting forward)

Like drop it across the torso? I never learned FHS full on vault but my inclination would be to drop my left arm (for a left twist). When I twist forwards on floor I kind of just pull both arms in to the left. What would you do with the left arm if you dropped the right?

Like drop it across the torso? I never learned FHS full on vault but my inclination would be to drop my left arm (for a left twist). When I twist forwards on floor I kind of just pull both arms in to the left. What would you do with the left arm if you dropped the right?

If you want to drop it across your torso, that's fine. I just have the kids drop it to the side. You'll twist either way as long as you're rigid. If you shorten one side of the body, you'll start turning.

For forward twisting, you drop the opposite arm. If you're going to twist to the left, then you'll drop the right arm. If you're twisting to the right, you'll drop the left arm.

For back twisting, you do drop the same side arm as your twist side. So, left twist = left arm and right twist = right arm.

As far as what you do with the left arm - for this vault, it can basically just stay up. If you have a good enough FHS and block, you'll easily have enough air time to make a 1/1 twist and beyond. On floor, you do have to pull the arms in a little tighter to speed up the twist because you have much less air time to complete the skill. So, you need to rotate quickly.

Okay, I see what you mean. I'm not trying it or anything. I never learned front twisting on vault and I don't really have any reason to now. I've seen girls do FHS double full and it seems like they tend to drop the opposite arm across (wrapped) and then wrap the same arm behind their head. When I twist backwards on floor, I drop my left arm straight and then pull my right arm slightly across for a full or 1.5, but when I double full I tend to pull them both in. On front twisting I don't really know what I do, but I guess I do technically move the right arm first.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back