FHS Vault: Preflight

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What am I doing wrong on the FHS vault
(pretty sure it has to do with the preflight)...

When I vault, it feels like I go really high during the preflight, but by the time I contact the vault, it feels like I don't block as high as I used to. My mom noticed that my block seems more longer than higher compared to last year. Once in a while I do an awesome vault that nice and high and everything, but I noticed that I don't seem to go quite so high on the preflight. Am I doing something wrong?

We would probably need to see some video to be accurate with what we are telling you.

Preflight isn't supposed to be high; it should turn over quickly so you get to the table quickly. The faster you get to the table (provided you do it with correct technique), the higher the postflight will be.

HOWEVER, please do not take this to mean you should lean forward or drop your chest in order to reach the table faster. Reaching the table quicker comes from a fast heel drive, not from leaning forward.

Keep in mind I'm just talking about general principles here; I'd have to see a video to say specifically what you're doing wrong.

I don't think I'll be able to get a good video for 2 weeks or so...

Are there any other possibilities on what it could be?

It sounds to me like the most likely problem is either that the table is a bit low for you or you aren't getting enough heel drive. Try to think about pushing the board forward with your feet as you hit it; in other words, get your chest behind your feet during the hurdle, so your feet are in front of you when you hit the board.

But again, I can't say for sure that this is your problem until I see a video.

a lot of my gymnasts have this problem too. It might be because you're leaning forward on the springboard. When you hit the springboard, you need to make sure that your head, chest, and upper body is up. Make sure that you not leaning forward into the vault. Also make sure that your arm circle is nice and strong. Fast arm circle, get your arms all the way up, and be very tight on the board when you jump. Good luck

Sounds like you've already gotten some great advice! I aggree that it could be chest position on the board and/or heal drive. Like the others said, the horse, I mean table (sorry--i'm and old school vaulter) might be too low. Please let us know how it works out!

Hey my own daughter tried some of this advice with her FHS vault at practice tonight it worked out great for her. She said the funny thing is that her coachs tell her the same thing all the time at ractice but, it made more sense when she read it here outside of the gym. Good job people keep up the good work. Ecspecialy flipincoach11 lol:eek:.

I do notice my vault is better when I concentrate on keeping my chest up...

Maybe I should also vault on a higher setting since I don't really feel a difference...

Thanks for the tips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back