Parents FIG/European competition scoring standards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSnax

Proud Parent
Can anyone provide me an idea of what the European standard of scoring is and what does it mean? DD just had her first competition in Finland after a season competing in the US and the scoring seemed much tougher than what she is used to. Last year, she scored mostly in the 9's with occasional 8's but here the scores are given as a range (9-9.5, 8.5-9, 8-8.5, etc.) Some girls even scored below 6.0 and I didn't see hardly any 9-9.5 scores (maybe 2 or 3).

What's considered the average score? Thanks!

in Britain we use modified Fig.

Scoring is much harsher here,
falls are 1 mark, steps 0.1, 0.3 or 0.5
roughly the deductions are double.

I have seen 4's regularly

Just looking at the scores from the Quatro cup at the weekend,

GB level 3 (10 years old ) (US Level 7/8) E scores ranged from 7.70-9.05 on Vault, 5.00-8.85 on Bars, 5.40-8.10 on beam and 6.85-8.30 on floor. However we use open scoring so top score on floor was 11.850

I'm not sure if there is a standard throughout Europe or even throughout the Nordic countries, but DD has competed in both. In her country meets, they competed modified FIG by age. So, everyone with the same birth year competed against each other. The D (difficulty scores) were modified, inflated, and based on age for meets within the country. There was a penalty for not having the minimum composition and difficulty the country decided for that age. Scores would range from near 15 to near zero. Deductions were taken at FIG value and were much higher. When they did international competitions, those scores were based on the FIG code only.

Looking at one country meet, DD's D scores ranged from 4.0-6.5, her E ranged from 7.4-8.3. A FIG meet from that time had her D scores ranging from 1.6-4.o and her E ranging from 7.3-8.3. Her typical AA score range in the US is 37-38. Her skill range varies widely because she's moved around alot.

I'm happy to hear that your daughter is now competing! That's awesome! I hope she had fun :)

The scoring is MUCH tougher in Finland compared to the USA. We use modified FIF Code of Points deductions for the lower levels also. If you score is in 9's it's considered super good in general. While in the USA they have all kind of deductions, in Finland we only have four different deductions which are 0.1, 0.3, 0.5 and 1.0. Those are the deductions that the FIG CoP has too. So your deductions add up much quicker when the judges can only choose between those four deductions when in the USA the judges can deduct like 0.05, 0.1 and 0.2 from one skill. In Finland it would be 0.1, 0.1 and 0.3 or something like that, just to give you the idea. In compulsories there's also a 1.5 deduction for spotted/missing skill.

An average score is usually 7,5-8 on floor, bars and beam but on vault 8,5-9. Average AA result is category III (30.00-32.00) or IV (32.00-33.50)

I hope that she will have a successful season in level B! I looked up her scores and I think she did just fine. She has only had a few months to learn the routines and new skills :)

Thanks everyone! Competitions and skills required are definitely different here than in the US. She really enjoys being part of a team and has even picked up a few words in Swedish. :)

Gymisforeveryone, thanks for the insight on the Finnish scoring. DD has all the major skills but needs to now refine her routines. Hopefully she can continue to increase her scores. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back