Off Topic Final exam exemptions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NYgymfan

Does anyone else have exemptions for final exams if you are a senior? If we have a regular final (as opposed to a state Regents exam) and we have a B+ or better average, and we are a senior, we can choose not to take the final (or we could take it if we really really want to!). I tell this to people at other schools and many times the reaction is "that's not fair!!!! I want to be exempt!!"

For second semester seniors at my old high school, you could skip all of your finals if you had perfect attendance and at least a C+ in the class. Also, if you took the corresponding AP or IB exam, you could skip your second semester final for that class.

Jammy so an so :rolleyes:. JK.

We don't even get the option! Every single one of our exams are externally assessed by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) and your coursework during the year doesn't even factor into the final grade for the majority of them!

We even have to sit (and pass) three exams (plus a prelim) to sit the final exam!

We don't get optioned out, however because all of my classes this year were AP (minus orchestra), we took care of any sort of mult. choice/written exam prior to the AP exam as practice. In a few classes, we had projects to do, but I've pretty much been coasting since May 12th. Sooooo I didn't have to come to any of my finals during the exam week; I was done as of Tuesday and I graduate Saturday. I've enjoyed these two school-less days...I did my training for my new job, cleaned out my room in a major way, and have continued the running program I'm on. Oh yes, Mike-I'm training for the XC team with my bf. I'm not sure if I'll actually join the team, but I told him I'd do the workouts with him because he's "out of shape" and needs a buddy. Thought you might find that interesting...if you're interested in the program, let me know and I can pm it to you. It builds to 2 a days in July, with the end of August reaching a 2 hour run.

At my school, if you take an AP (except for ap bio), you dont take the final unless you want to (to raise your grade i guess), no matter what you are getting in the class. I havnt heard of anybody doing this before, but Im pretty sure you can.

When you are a senior, there is a 20 minute presentation followed by 20 minutes of questions and answers which they need to pass to graduate. Sort of like their final i guess, but not really. so the midterm counts as 20% of the final grade instead of 10%. They graduate in may and finals are the first week in June. Ive never heard of a senior taking a final at my school.

My high school exempts seniors from finals the second semester if they have missed two or less days of school and have at least a C in that class. This means I had to take my finals since I missed over 20 days.. opps. I think it should just be by how well they are doing in the class. Oh well doesn't matter to me now that I'm in college.

My last education Bs.c. exam schedule out and i missed two paper.In exam hall you have only 15-20 minuets to attempt a question.

For second semester seniors at my old high school, you could skip all of your finals if you had perfect attendance and at least a C+ in the class. Also, if you took the corresponding AP or IB exam, you could skip your second semester final for that class.

Our high school is exactly the same as this except that you have to have a B or better.

Funny you brought this up, the Scottish govt just announced that they're changing our exam system to one without external exams for your third and fourth years at school (Standard Grades) and there is a massive debate going on because a lot of teachers don't believe its effective enough!

Does that mean you guys don't sit formal exams until uni (college)?

Thats really cool. I heard of some schools making anyone exempt even if they were a freshman if you had an A in the class. I wish my school did it that way because I wouldn't have had to take any exams this year! What my school does is that AP classes don't have to take a final exam, but you still have to take the mid term

We don't really have formal national exams, even in college. Each state has a standardized test that you have to pass to graduate from high school, but they vary from state to state. Many colleges require the ACT or SAT, and then professional and graduate schools typically have a standardized exam (GRE, MCAT, LSAT, etc.).

At my school we really do not have finals. Unless the teacher really wants you too. And when we did have a final, we did not have to take it if we were satisfied with our grade, which was nice. The only thing that was required was that we do an end of the semester presentation, where you talk about 3 projects from 3 different classes for 15 minutes. It was really simple actually, an easy A. I'm kinda glad we do not have finals, but it probably will not help us later on. :(

My senior year was the only year that I was exempt. Now that I am in my senior year college, I can honestly say that exemptions are NOT a good idea bc once you get to college, you have NO CLUE how to study for finals. Having said that, high school finals are nothing compared to college finals and I had no clue how to study for them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back