Parents FINALLY back on the high bar!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
Jess only does the low bar in her routine, USAIGC bronze the little ones all do one bar . . some older girls also only do one bar . . . anyway . . .

Because she is 7 her current gym wasn't in a rush to get her on the high bar.

Almost 3 months ago she was getting her squat on making the jump, catching the high bar and doing a straddle dismount off the high bar . . .

Then the gym started training some older girls on pull backs(?) anyway the bars were adjusted VERY far. No one seemed to want to take the time to move them closer for DD and every time she asked she was told they were too far and to just practice her routine. I spoke to the HC and they said they would adjust - she just has to ask (don't even get me started on that)

Long story short (I know, too late) for over 2 months all she heard was "no, they're too far" . That got in her head and while doing a trial at a new gym I noticed that no matter how close the bars were she had "too far" in her head. She was so upset with herself and was having a really hard time getting over it.

Thursday the coach she loves and idolizes moved the bars really close and worked with her . . . and last night . . .

***drum roll please***

She did a full routine . . . kip / back hip / front hip to squat / jump / kip and . . . FLY AWAY!

I will not lie . . it was NOT pretty . . but she did it all by herself. She was on coud nine

I just had to share since no one else has a clue what I just said LOL

Thanks for letting me share!

link to video peak - Naturally when I tape she doesn't land the dismount . . . but you get the idea :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixGYIpSD3q4

Last edited:
If only some of the coaches worked as hard as our girls. Moving those bars back and forth, while I'm sure may not be fun, doesn't seem like an outrageous request!

I'm glad she was able to work through it with a coach she likes. I'm sure that helped!

The video was precious, and shame on the coaches for not working w/her more! That's what they get paid for!

Anyway, now that she KNOWS she can do it, she can work on making everything "pretty!" The confidence that she has after knowing she can "DO" it will make everything fall into place for her.

I have to say, my favorite part of the video was her "salute" when she was lying on the floor after her dismount!

She is too cute. Glad they finally adjusted the bars for her and she got to jump to the high bar. At DDs gym, they teach them how to help them adjust the bars. I bet she would land the dismount if she did another swing before it like how they do in the level 6 routine. :D

I've been down this road and I completely feel your pain! LM struggled with the bars "being too far" since she was 6 so this is the end of the 2nd yr of struggling! OUR new coach finally started moving them in for her a few weeks ago and even though it might have been all in her head, this little effort did wonders to boost her confidence. She is now getting to the HB all by herself for the Level 5 routine (States in 2 weeks).

That said, she now wants to do the HB routine in her USAIGC routine!! Her other coach and I agreed, why mess with a good thing? She was getting awesome scores with just the 4 elements on low bar, she can throw in a flyaway to spice it up and call it a day! She was doing flyaways last yr and this yr they had her doing sole circles with the rest of the bronze levels, not sure why.

Anyway, CONGRATS to Jess!

she is adorable and when she gets more practice at the routine you can see she will be great!. WTG!

I guess I just don't understand don't all the gyms have more than one bar set up. the gyms in my area all do. In our gym we have 3 bar set ups - one is set close one set at a med distance and one at the far distance. This way no one has to move bars during practice. The girls know if they need to practice bars they just go to the bars set for the distance they need.

Wow awesome that she got to do it. I am sure once she practises more, she will make it a lot more pretty. My daughter can't even do the kip yet. Been working on it for a year now, but I think she doen'st get to do it often enough. I hope once she completely moved to the other club, she will be taught how to do it.

Oh Yea Jess!! :highfive:

Takes a lot of courage, but when they do it, the feeling of accomplishment is long-lasting and it's a real pleasure for us parents to witness. (even if it's not our own).

Shame all the coaches don't let her try eh?
My thoughts exactly! Our gym is very un-bending on what they allow the kids try. They don't even seem to care if they can do it or not. If the skill is not part of the current program, then it's strictly off limits. No if's and's or but's.

I never agreed with this philosophy. Not all gymmies are alike. They arent robots. Some just "get it" faster then others, and SHOULD be allowed to move forward. Not be stalled until everyone "get's it". Just my opinion of course.

Glad to hear you mentioned to HC about moving the bars. Sometimes even the coaches need a little nudge.

I guess I just don't understand don't all the gyms have more than one bar set up. the gyms in my area all do. In our gym we have 3 bar set ups - one is set close one set at a med distance and one at the far distance. This way no one has to move bars during practice. The girls know if they need to practice bars they just go to the bars set for the distance they need.

We have 2 sets plus a pit bar and a strap bar. The "silver" and "red" bars as they are affectionately know, are set for far & close. However, most of the girls use the silver ones and that is where the coach usually stands. It was a struggle for Little Monkey even at the red ones b/c (a) she was scared and (b) she had not been taught properly the first time. So...until we got the new coach and she had a couple of privates with him and understood what she was SUPPOSED to be doing, she would try them at the red bars and never "get it". Anyway...it's all good now and we've put that part of the stress behind us. Now that she's able to catch the HB, she has even been trying on the silver ones!

Our current gym has 2 UB set ups. One is med distance and one is close. The back bars are usually close but they adjusted them really far for the girls working on something. Since DD is the ONLY one that was using the back bars only no one would bother moving them. The med setting was kept med for everyone to work everything else. This set is almost never adjusted.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back