Parents Finally some beam progress

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

flippymonkeysmom

My dd has had a serious mental block with her bhs on beam. She will do a ro back tuck on the beam - but was afraid to jump backwards onto her hands. She will do bwo bwo though - it was just the jumping thing. It goes back two years ago when at a meet a girl was doing a bhs bhs and on the 2nd bhs missed the beam with her hands and the side of her face took the full impact and actually knocked her out and she was taken away in an ambulance. My dd was right there when it happened and 9 years old - kinda freaked her out. Anyway - she just wouldn't do them - her coach was ok with it since there was plenty of other stuff she could and would do on the beam that met the requirements. But last night out of nowhere she was doing them (with a spot) on the high beam and they weren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be. She was so excited and proud of herself. I'm sure she still has a long way to go before she is doing them on her own - but at least she is making progress :D

That's great! It can be so traumatic for kids to see "accidents," and it can really affect them. My daughter saw another girl fall from the top of the climbing rope and break her arm. DD is still afraid of the rope, even though she can climb it with no problem.

The BHS on beam is such a big skill :D. Tell your daughter congratulations - she should be very proud of herself!

Gymnastics is less about skill and more about conquering fears when they get past the compulsory levels. Seeing falls and injuries can be very shocking.

I am so glad that your DD is getting through this her own way, without parental/coaching pressure.

Wow.Great job.
My daughter missed her hands on the 2 nd bhs on medium beam last year.She did not get hurt but she was scarred of them and just started to do them again on lowbeam.

Thanks everyone :) She is still so excited. After practice yesterday she was telling me how confident she feels lately and not scared to do things. Yesterday she was actually sticking double fronts off a springboard onto a big squishy mat (I'm sure there is a more technical name for big squishy mat, LOL). She is really loving competition season being over and working new things.

hunde - I am glad your dd didn't get hurt when that happened to her. I can only imagine how much it scared her it considering my dd only saw it happen and it freaked her out for 2 years.

FMM,

Congrats to your DD! My DD had a similar issue last year. She just lost her bhs on beam, had them for a year and a half and just lost them. It took a month but she got them back. That is also when i found Chalk Bucket! Thank goodness!

I hope the confidence she feels today will carry her through the next few practices!

I really love Summer practice, it seems like everyone gets new skills! It is SO FUN to hear!
K

aweeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssoooooooooommmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
You have to be very proud of her:) I was that way too with the movements that I was to land on my hands. I would much rather just do back flips, ariel fronts and front tucks than backhandsprings, lol.

Huge congrats to your dd!! Mine is working on getting past the "not enough confidence" on her bhs series. She also saw a girl get hurt doing a bhs series and I think that plays over in her mind from time to time. This was about 2 yrs. ago and the girl split the beam and ended up with 80 stitches in her leg.

Glad she's doing well on beam and learning all kinds of other skills too!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back