Coaches Finding another B or higher for Xcel Diamond

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

buddy3

Coach
I have a girl on diamond who is not a very strong at clear hips. She really struggles with opening high enough to even clear horizontal. And her cast is just above horizontal so she is not even close to being able to start at a 10 at this point. Her current routine is kip, cast, clear hip, kip, squat-on, kip, cast, clear hip, fly away. I am trying to find another B she might be able to do so that she does not have to do a second clear hip. I was looking into possibly having her train hechts, but I have never coached one before and I was wondering how hard/how long it normally takes to be able to do it safely and successfully. She normally has a pretty powerful swing so I feel like with enough training she could definitely get this. I am also open to any other suggestions. Thanks

What about an uprise? Or maybe a straddle cut?
Or a Flyaway 1/2?
She can do a flyaway 1/2 but that does not fulfill the requirements for Diamond. They need 1 B or higher circling skill and then an additional B circling skill, pirouette, or release. B circling skills done on different bars can fulfill this so thats why she has a clear hip on LB and HB

She can do a flyaway 1/2 but that does not fulfill the requirements for Diamond. They need 1 B or higher circling skill and then an additional B circling skill, pirouette, or release. B circling skills done on different bars can fulfill this so thats why she has a clear hip on LB and HB
I thought you just wanted any extra B which is why I suggested the flyaway 1/2 and the uprise.
Straddle cut counts as a "B" release :)

I thought you just wanted any extra B which is why I suggested the flyaway 1/2 and the uprise.
Straddle cut counts as a "B" release :)
I actually had no idea what that was so I have just spent the last 15 minutes looking at videos of them lol....Do you have any experience with coaching them or any drills for them. This kid is like crazy flexible so I feel like that is perfect for her!!!!

I actually had no idea what that was so I have just spent the last 15 minutes looking at videos of them lol....Do you have any experience with coaching them or any drills for them. This kid is like crazy flexible so I feel like that is perfect for her!!!!
Let me think ... We have one Level 8 that competes them and an Xcel Platinum that is training them for high school - I was just working with her on drills a few weeks ago. I remember we were working them in 3 phases.
The first phase is with an 8 inch mat under the bar, have her do the swing forward like she would for her kip, but try to get her feet BETWEEN her hands and the bar then release and straddle on the back swing. She should land sitting on the mat.
Once she has good timing on that part, have her try to regrasp the bar after the release.
Once she can consistently regrasp the bar, have her kip out of it.

There have got to be video tutorials on You Tube somewhere, lol.

Let me think ... We have one Level 8 that competes them and an Xcel Platinum that is training them for high school - I was just working with her on drills a few weeks ago. I remember we were working them in 3 phases.
The first phase is with an 8 inch mat under the bar, have her do the swing forward like she would for her kip, but try to get her feet BETWEEN her hands and the bar then release and straddle on the back swing. She should land sitting on the mat.
Once she has good timing on that part, have her try to regrasp the bar after the release.
Once she can consistently regrasp the bar, have her kip out of it.

There have got to be video tutorials on You Tube somewhere, lol.
I swear you just saved this girl's whole season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back