Parents Finding New Gym with an Injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

scgymmom322

Proud Parent
Help!

Sorry I have to be vague, but I will try my best to explain the situation.

We just found out some terrible news about our gym, and have decided that we need to immediately leave. We have a huge problem, though! Our daughter has a serious injury at this time and cannot do a try out. She is very young and had a great level 3 season last year. She has all of her level 4 and some of her level 5 skills, but I have no way to show that to a new gym at this time! I don't have current video of any skills because I don't stay at the gym to watch practice. However, I do have current videos of physical abilities that show her strength (such as rope climb in pike, press handstands, etc.).

Her physical therapist and doctor have both said she will be able to compete this January, but how do I go about finding a new gym when she can't try out? I am sure they think that some parents exaggerate their child's skills and won't just take my word for it that she can do these things. At this time, I cannot have them talk to her current coaches, as I don't want to announce that we are leaving. They can talk to a coach she had a couple years ago, and she can vouch for my daughter's strength and flexibility, but not for current skills.

I don't know what to do, but staying at our current gym isn't an option. Would any gym even consider taking on a new team member with these circumstances? The gyms in our area are aware of what is going on at our gym, and I have heard that some are being flexible with to accommodate gymnasts that are leaving or forced to leave...

What is her injury? She should still be able to at least some conditioning and stretching right?
I’m sure they will take her for their level 4 team if she had a good season of level 3. You have no reason to lie or exaggerate her skills because they will know sooner or later what her abilities are so I don’t see why they wouldn’t take your word for it.

Our gym has taken in injured girls before and have even allowed girls to take off a year of competing to recover from injuries and or work through mental blocks if need be. I hope you are able to find a flexible gym that works for you.

If you are in SC, the compulsory states are in December now, so your dd may not be able to compete unless your gym does some post season meets for compulsories (ours does and I know others do). However if she’s willing to do a year of Xcel (which will have more flexibility on skills, etc as well for a gymnast making a comeback from injury) she could still compete in a state meet as Xcel states aren’t until March. In our area it’s common for girls to sometimes do a year of Xcel after L3, especially if they don’t have the kip and don’t want to spend another year doing L3 routines.

If you have any questions or want me to share any input feel free to PM me! I’m so sorry you are having to deal with this!

Our gym has taken in injured girls before and have even allowed girls to take off a year of competing to recover from injuries and or work through mental blocks if need be. I hope you are able to find a flexible gym that works for you.

If you are in SC, the compulsory states are in December now, so your dd may not be able to compete unless your gym does some post season meets for compulsories (ours does and I know others do). However if she’s willing to do a year of Xcel (which will have more flexibility on skills, etc as well for a gymnast making a comeback from injury) she could still compete in a state meet as Xcel states aren’t until March. In our area it’s common for girls to sometimes do a year of Xcel after L3, especially if they don’t have the kip and don’t want to spend another year doing L3 routines.

If you have any questions or want me to share any input feel free to PM me! I’m so sorry you are having to deal with this!

Thanks! I am relieved to hear that some gyms are willing to take injured girls. We are actually in luck because our former gym competed fall season, but most gyms in our area compete beginning in January, so she will have even more time to heal before competing than she would have if we had stayed. We are considering Xcel for our other daughter, who also recently competed L3, but doesn't have her kip yet. Hoping to keep the little one on the JO track if possible!

We were really caught off guard by all of this, and it is stressing me out! Hopefully my girls will have a new gym home soon!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back