Finding the right gym (Parents are welcome to comment too!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So my dd has been going to our present gym for 8 months now. She is 2.5 yo and in the Super Tots class (4&5 yos) twice a week. Her coach while in mommy and me was EXCELLENT, but unfortunately she doesn't teach any classes at my dd's current level. We have 2 coaches right now. One whom I am not very impressed with, teaches the majority of classes at dd's current level. Her attitude in class lacks enthusiasm and she rarely smiles or acts like she wants to be coaching. I thought it might just be the age group, but I saw her coaching level 1 and it was the same thing. Coaches, would you suggest that I talk to the owners about my concern?? I don't want to ruffle any feathers but I want to not only get my money's worth but also have my dd learning the skills with encourgement and enthusiasm. Her other coach is better but he tends to be really lax and the momentum of the class is kind of slow.
I took my dd to another gym 40 min away from our home today. It is well known and has a lot of honors to it. I had my dd try a trial class today and was BLOWN AWAY by the class!! She learned more and practiced more skills today then she has ever learned in the two months she has been out of mommy and me and at her current level. The coach was encouraging and patient and had a great handle on my daughter's tendency to lose focus. :)
My question is...I know she is only 2.5 but I have been told by many coaches and I can see with my own eyes that my dd has A LOT of promise. She learns quickly and retains well. I wouldn't be considering this if I did not think it was worth my time. Should I make the sacrifice of time and commute 40 min to and from this excellent gym or should I stick it out at our current gym for now? I am so torn!!

Also coaches...though my daughter has a lot of natural skill and picks things up quickly, she has a really hard time focusing at times. She loves to watch the older gymnasts and I constantly hear her name being called during her lesson to get her attention. I feel bad for her coaches having to constantly call her back to attention. Any thoughts on this issue??

Thanks for any words of wisdom, ideas etc. Would love to hear from you!!

~Heather

Regardless of how talented your dd is, she is still only 2 1/2. Personally, I would wait until she is at least 5 years old before considering any type of serious gymnastics training. And, there is no way I would commute 40 minutes for my dd's gymnastics when she was only 2 years old, JMHO. I've said it before and I will say it again - Gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes time to develop these young bodies, and FUN should be the most important thing for gymnasts up until at least age 5.

There really is no rush. Your dd has time. My dd didn't step foot into a gymnastics gym until she was 9 years old. She is now 11 and is training Level 5/6.

I would just keep her in her current class. If she is having fun and leaving the class with a smile (regardless of how many times the coach has to redirect her attention) that's all that matters.

Hi Tinytumblermommy!

While I definitely agree with MD that gymnastics is a marathon~not a sprint and that your DD should only be coming out of gym with a smile, I am also a proponent of paying for and supporting business where you feel you are getting something valuable in return.

That said, and not knowing what area you live in and the availability of gym programs near you, it would not be uncommon in some areas to attend programs 40 minutes from home. In fact, I drove 30 minutes away for my then 3 year old son to attend a music program that I loved and he loved just as much.

That said, your dd is extremely young for you to think too seriously about gymnastics at this time. You didn't say if she is happy in her current class. If she is not, it could be for several reasons, including: 1. the teacher, 2. the demands of the class.

2 year olds are very different from 4-5 year olds (the ages of the children you state are in her current class). Their attention span, interests and ability are generally quite different. Even a very coordinated, motor driven child may not have the attention to 'hang' with a group of older children in a structured setting.

Think carefully about what 'you' are expecting from your dd's class. Make sure that if you consider a switch that it is for her ultimate happiness, not necessarily for what you are thinking long term.

Also know that interests of little children (and bigger ones) frequently change. Continue exposing her to lots of different activities and experiences!!

Hopefully this is clear, it is a little early in the am for me to type so much:rolleyes:

I would go back to a mom and tot class or at least a threes class with any kid who is not three. That is as early as we will take them into independent classes - no exceptions - not that I have ever seen a need for it. The reason your daughter tends to lose focus is because she is 2.5. Now whether that class is at the old gym or at another gym, is something to look at. Most of the time a kid at this age will get more out of one on one attention and redirection.

At three, they can go independently, and after a session of that they can go in the 3/young 4 advanced class. Our system simply wouldn't allow a 2.5 year old to register in the older 4-5 advanced class (which is our most advanced preschool class - almost comparable to a preteam program for younger), and an age override like that would never be given (it might be given for a few years off). I've met many talented toddlers and I have seen many girls who did turn out to be high level gymnasts when they were younger...but I have never seen a 2.5 year old who would fit in our 4-5 advanced as I teach it. Since I don't consider that a class where I'm there to babysit, I would not do it and take away from the other kids. One of the requirements of that class is above average focus for 4-5 and that is simply developmentally inappropriate for a 2.5 year old.

To be honest I can't see expecting a 2.5 year old to get any skills in an independent class. Sometimes it happens but the early years of independent classes are about getting used to the class. Even at the new gym what appeared to be new skills might have just been a different format of doing the class.

This is a tough decision. My 3yo son has been in a 4-5 age grouped class for about a year now mainly because he has the attention span to be there. My 2yo son - no way in heck could he do it. He was moved up to the 3-4 yo group right before his 2nd birthday and after a few weeks we moved back to mommy & me. He wasn't ready. Do you think your daughter's short attention span (which is 100% normal at her age) will get in her way? If you think it is just because she is bored in her current class and needs more of a challenge, then try the other gym for a while. Maybe by being challenged and learning new skills, she will learn that while in the gym she has to pay attention.

I know that you said she learned a ton at the trial class, what did she say about it? Are her current coaches the only ones who coach her current level or are the classes offered at another time that you could try with a different coach to see if that makes a difference?

I don't think you would be wrong in either decision. Are you able to make the time commitment for that type of commute? I don't know that for a 2 1/2 year old I would be ready to do that.

Best of luck making a tough decision!

I would go back to a mom and tot class or at least a threes class with any kid who is not three. That is as early as we will take them into independent classes - no exceptions - not that I have ever seen a need for it. The reason your daughter tends to lose focus is because she is 2.5. Now whether that class is at the old gym or at another gym, is something to look at. Most of the time a kid at this age will get more out of one on one attention and redirection.

At three, they can go independently, and after a session of that they can go in the 3/young 4 advanced class. Our system simply wouldn't allow a 2.5 year old to register in the older 4-5 advanced class (which is our most advanced preschool class - almost comparable to a preteam program for younger), and an age override like that would never be given (it might be given for a few years off). I've met many talented toddlers and I have seen many girls who did turn out to be high level gymnasts when they were younger...but I have never seen a 2.5 year old who would fit in our 4-5 advanced as I teach it. Since I don't consider that a class where I'm there to babysit, I would not do it and take away from the other kids. One of the requirements of that class is above average focus for 4-5 and that is simply developmentally inappropriate for a 2.5 year old.

To be honest I can't see expecting a 2.5 year old to get any skills in an independent class. Sometimes it happens but the early years of independent classes are about getting used to the class. Even at the new gym what appeared to be new skills might have just been a different format of doing the class.

yes. i concur......................

I took my dd to another gym 40 min away from our home today. It is well known and has a lot of honors to it. I had my dd try a trial class today and was BLOWN AWAY by the class!! She learned more and practiced more skills today then she has ever learned in the two months she has been out of mommy and me and at her current level. The coach was encouraging and patient and had a great handle on my daughter's tendency to lose focus. :)
My question is...I know she is only 2.5 but I have been told by many coaches and I can see with my own eyes that my dd has A LOT of promise. She learns quickly and retains well. I wouldn't be considering this if I did not think it was worth my time. Should I make the sacrifice of time and commute 40 min to and from this excellent gym or should I stick it out at our current gym for now? I am so torn!!

~Heather

To be blunt, I am blown away that you are even considering a 40 minute drive for a 2 1/2 year old, no matter how talented she is. If she eventually does get into a team setting in gymnastics there will be plenty more YEARS to be doing the 40 minute commute, but definitely NOT at age 2 1/2. Let her be a kid and do her rec class here and there but do not get her into the whole gym setting at this age.....it will be a recipe for early burnout..

I may be wrong, as I am not a gym coach, but my husband is a golf pro who has taught 100s if not 1000s of junior golfers over 15 years. He says even 7 and 8 year olds who really like golf have trouble focusing. So a 2.5 year old will surely lose focus.

That being said, I would not really worry about my child having talent at that age. I just don't see how you can tell with a 2.5 year and at this age, gymnastics should (in my opinion) be about learning general physical skills and having fun. My DD went to a gym that only taught rec classes (had no team) until she finished 2nd grade. Maybe I should have looked for a gym with a team before that, but with kids starting school at 4-5 and learning how to play with other kids, I just don't think anything beyond a mommy and me class or toddler tumbling is necessary before that age.

Just curious about what types of skills they are developing in the super tots class? The reason I am asking is that I have a 2.5 yo and a 5 yo and I was told that the skills my 5 yo works (bridges, backbends, kickovers, glide and tap swings...) are not necessarily safe for a 2.5 yo because they are at such different stages of physical development...

Are you considering a switch because she is not having fun? ...or because you don't think she is learning as much as she could? Personally, I probably wouldn't drive 40 min for a preschooler's activity-your commute would probably be longer then the class time!

Your daughter will not get behind even if she does nothing but play and have fun in the gym for the next couple of years. No matter how much talent or potential, the only way to develop it fully is if they develop enough love for the sport to stick with it for the long haul :) At age 2.5 it should be FUN, FUN, FUN with NO pressure on skill development.

I should say that I also have a 10yo dd training L9 and a 8yo dd training L6...their early years in the sport (ages 3-5ish) were all about FUN!

Good luck with your decision :)

Thanks for the responses!

Thank you for all of your opinions-I value them. I guess my main concern is the quality of class she is receiving over anything. I am leaning toward sticking it out at her current gym, it just pains me to know she could be getting much better quality instruction, no matter what the level, elsewhere. My DD is very happy in her current classes, she just shows such an enthusiasm to learn new skills (and practice current skills) I just wish more was done with them in her classes. Unfortunately I don't think returning back to the mommy and me class would be the best idea for her (though I LOVED her coach!!) because she tends to mimic whatever behavior other children display, and that class had a lot of really young toddlers who did not listen well and at times tantrumed. In her current class she does much better with the maturity level of 3-4 yos.

**I know it sounds like a little much that I would drive that far for her, but 1) she is my only child and I will do pretty much anything for her, and 2) the lack of quality gyms nearby kind of leaves no other options.

Sorry for being so direct! Is this a troll? Let me have a quick response without having read all of the other posts first.

She is 2.5, presumably is wearing diapers and is not closed to being completely trained. If she can't understand enough, focus enough nor have enough muscle control to do her natural things on a potty, why are we talking non-sense expecting that in a sport? ... an intensive and demanding one of all things. Regardless of what anyone tells you, there is no way they can finger a prospect at this time.

Also, at the age, what do you think her skill is in instruction comprehension? Just in comparison, she will be learning by simple images in 3 years when she starts in kindergarden (at least in NA). If indeed she has such level of cognition, wouldn't it be better to put the time and money into grooming her as an academic prodigy?

Now let me go read the other responses.

Last edited:
**I know it sounds like a little much that I would drive that far for her, but 1) she is my only child and I will do pretty much anything for her, and 2) the lack of quality gyms nearby kind of leaves no other options.
OK, most of us are caring veteran parents in these forums. Almost without an exception, we have the same feeling and love towards our kids, being only children or not. We would offer the same support for whatever is best. At 2.5 years old, what is best to have the child to bond with her parents, play with other children her age and do whatever else they do to learn the world naturally. Any expectation (or grooming) outside of normal development is not natural for a child this age.

Hi, my dd has actually been potty trained since before her second birthday so that is not an issue as you have presented.
As far as her focus issue, I guess I should be more specific. Her focus is usually an issue while waiting her turn to do a skill, not while acutally practicing it. She has very good skill comprehension, and practices constantly what she has learned at home.

DD is very bright and while I fully intend on investing just as much time into her academic learning her passion for gymnastics is evident to everyone who meets her.

I hope this covers everything, I was a little confused on some of your comments.

Seriously, she is 2.5 years old. You have stated she is happy, that is ALL that matters. If she is happy and in a safe environment, let her be. You will have her burned out by the time she is 4. If she is talented, the talent will still be there in a few years. Heck, it will still be there in 5 or 6 or more years.

Gymnastics at the competitive level consumes a lot of time. Enjoy the fun and freedom of letting her just be a toddler right now. Her attention span or lack thereof is completely normal for her age.

My DD has a friend that showed extreme potential from a very young age, too. She was in regular preschool classes once a week (and had a blast and did just fine) until she was 4 years old, then she was moved into developmental classes that were 2 times a week for 1 hour.

My own daughter showed no potential or talent until age 5 (except that she had a lot of upper body strength hanging on bars, climbing the rope) and she caught up to the normal team track just fine. :) And my little one shows way more potential that my oldest ever did, but I would prefer she NOT be a 5/6 year old level 4. Lessons learned for sure.

My advice to you would be to just relax and let her be a 2.5 year old. Let her have fun. Let the coaches worry about her attention span and just chill.

Hi, my dd has actually been potty trained since before her second birthday so that is not an issue as you have presented.
As far as her focus issue, I guess I should be more specific. Her focus is usually an issue while waiting her turn to do a skill, not while acutally practicing it. She has very good skill comprehension, and practices constantly what she has learned at home.

DD is very bright and while I fully intend on investing just as much time into her academic learning her passion for gymnastics is evident to everyone who meets her.

I hope this covers everything, I was a little confused on some of your comments.

I think as parents who have been around the sport for awhile, we have all seen the talented child that was burned out by the sport. Usually due to parents/coaches that pushed too hard, too soon and took all the fun out of it. They really take our cues and realize earlier than we think the pressures to do well and do more, etc. Right now the focus should be on having fun, trying different things, etc because eventually (if she sticks with gym and doesn't get burned out before she gets to even reach her potential) there won't be much time for anything else.

Your daughter is 2.5 years old. Regardless of her talent level, gymnastics should be fun and if it is, that is ALL that it needs to be right now.

As to focusing, again, completely normal. My almost 8 year old LOVES gymnastics and she still loses focus while waiting for her turn. She always has loved watching the higher level girls and can get lost in it. I don't worry about it. Even at 7, she is still just a little kid and gymnastics has to be fun for her.

I guess I'm being read wrong by a couple of posters. I am not in any way pushing my daughter or even in the mindset of competitive gymnastics, though if she chooses to go that path many years down the road I will support her. I in no way would ever let her get close to "burn out" and can read my daughter well enough to know if she was ever heading that direction.
Once more, my sole issue is with the quality of instruction she is receiving. I am not paying $100/mo for her to be in a class where the coach acts like she would rather still be home in bed. My daughter would be happy at any gym, and at this age doesn't recognize the coach's almost indifferent attitude towards her students. My sole interest at this time is that she have fun, but be around coaches that encourage and grow her love for the sport. Her coach has also been absent quite a few times causing the staff to scramble to find someone to coach my dd, usually a coach whom doesn't work with the young ones and therefore does not know what to work with them on. Seeing my DD sitting watching more than getting to run around and work on skills is not okay with me.
So mariposa and NotAMom, I hope you have a better understanding on where I am coming from. And NotAMom, a little hurt by your response, sorry if you perceived me a certain way but all that you responded with was not even close to the issues at hand.:(

Last edited:
Actually I don't think all that matters is she's happy - being safe matters too and it concerns me a gym would put a child into a class with 4-5 year olds when they are 2. Physically the skills are probably not appropriate, as a whole, and while they could be broken down into more manageable "bites" this is probably not being done with mostly bigger kids. This could be the reason for the stalled progress. It does not sound like a very organized preschool program. It sounds like they are just putting the kids in the classes.

I would find a quality program for three year olds, wherever that is, that teaches age appropriate skills (working on a lot of motor coordination, body awareness of straight legs, basic skills: walk up wall handstand, rolls, beginning cartwheel, lunges, two foot jumps continuously, climbing, front supports, casting, pullovers, strength). They should not be doing bridges, any things where they might fall on their head, things where they might whip their head back - at this age the head is still too big compared to the body for a lot of things so this might happen if the skills are not appropriate. Physically we can't just treat them like older kids in a smaller body no matter what their physical ability and focus are relative to their age level.

If you can't find a quality, age appropriate program, then I would take another look at recreational options. Getting a foundation of dance classes and creative movement early on can be a big help in developing coordination so the kids can move fast in gymnastics later on.

I would take her to the gym 40 min. away and put her in an age appropriate class. A 2.5 yr old does not belong in a class w/ 4 & 5 yr olds.

But, if you like what Macy's sells why shop at Walmart just b/c it's closer.

You will find that your lovely little dd will tend to fall in love with whatever activity you introduce her to in the next few years, be it dance, soccer, piano and on and on. Pre-k classes in gym are great for developing socializtion skills, working on coordination and some very basic concept of being in a structured setting. Thats all I put my 2 dds in rec gym classes for and didn't expect much more. One loved it until she fell off the beam when she was about 3.5 and then tolerated another 2+ years in rec classes until leaving for skating. The other---well she tried other things, but eventually gym won out and she started pre-team when she was 7; now at 14 is a L9.

At 2.5 she needs to be a child. Period. No coach can predict any future talent at this age. Yes, I used to hear skating coaches tell parents all the time of the potential of their 3 yo wobbling around the rink. Some said it just to be nice to the parents and make the parents feel good. Others, said it because they knew mommmy or daddy would sign little one up for more classes and maybe come to this coach for private lessons. What it comes down to is children's sports are a business. This is not being harsh--its being honest.

Take this time to enjoy your little one and explore the world with her. Bottom line is she's having fun. Thats all you should be concerned about for now.

I didn't see it mentioned above anywhere but I'd have a talk with the gym owner about her class. If the goal is for her to enjoy her gymnastics then the coach needs to be making sure this is happening. It sounds like the gym may be the ones pushing her to move up in level / skill ability as quickly as possible. I think we need to teach the kid to love the sport first then see how far they want to go with it.
I'm glad to see that you as the parent isn't doing the pushing in this case. From what I've seen in the past, you will really want to be careful if any gym tells you she needs to be pushed at any age. I like to teach the kids to push themselves. This seems to be much more useful later in life than someone else doing all of the pushing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back