Parents first (and last) L5 of the season meet report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really have to say that DD did okay, all things considered.

She learned all the routines in 2 weeks, and she did her first vault without a spot over the table in WARM UP at the meet. I'm not saying it was pretty, but she wasn't the worst one there.

On the floor she did okay...this was the place she suffered the most from rushing to learn. She was off on the beat of the music a few times, and she definitely didn't have the finesse that she usually has. She still managed a 8.375

Vault, the first one had bent arms, the second one her head touched. still, she had never gone over the table without a spot! 7.65

Bars: We knew that she wouldn't get both kips, but she actually had one warm up where she got both kips, the squat on and everything. When she did both in warm up I actually teared up, because one of the coaches had tried to get me to pull her out and not take her, and although it wasn't gorgeous, I felt she had every right to be there. she got a 6.8 on bars

Beam: She had her first fall in competition, but it was a decent routine with a 7.8

she needed .375 more to make it to sectionals (those are 3 weeks away, we figured we would be able to have some time to put a little more polish on it if we made it) her AA was 30.625

Either way, she still did really well at level 4 states, and I am going to talk to the coaches about moving her to a different group. I have felt a little "at their mercy" about what level she does and all that, but I think she may have proved she has a right to be taken seriously. The favoritism at her gym in this level is really glaring, and I'm tired of then tip-toeing around DD instead of giving her real challenges. Our level 5 kids only have 2 more meets, and they are done until late fall.

Snowbound

I'll have to go see posts to find out the background on why she only had 2 weeks to learn routines, etc., but it sounds like she did really well!

Sounds like she did very well for such short time preparing, especially on floor. I think it was a good thing for her to get her feet wet, see what judging is like at L5, etc and now she has 6+ months to really get things polished up, get those bar skills, vault over the table, etc. Good for her for going for it. :D

THat's such great news, so many firsts and after learning those routines so quickly. I am so glad that she was able to go and see how L5 feels. Getting over that table is daunting and the fact that she did it at the meet is wonderful.

Wow, it sounds like she did great for having only a couple of weeks to learn the routines. Is she definitely moving to Level 5, then? I'm sure by the time they start competing again in the fall she will do great. My dd has gone from a 7 to a 9 on bars in the span of only three months so given a whole summer, your dd will be rocking at Level 5.

That's great that she was able to a level 5 meet this year and it sounds like she did not do to bad. Was she alright with thoses scores, I know now that my daughter got all 8 and 9 this year as a level 4 she might get upset with a 6 or 7. Daughter started learning her level 5 skills after our last meet last week. She already knew the level 5 beam and she keeps doing it around the house, I am afraid she will be sick of it by next fall when she starts competing. I am more worried about the kip bars is her worst event. We watched our level 5 girls compete at our last meet and it seems like it is a really big jump from level 4 to 5 and the scoring seems tough, so your daughter did a great job with such little time to train.

Was she alright with those scores?

She knew that her scores weren't going to be what they were in level 4. She had all 9's this year except in one meet, but her L4 scores the year before were mostly 8's with a few 7's. She didn't really know what to expect.

She's a funny kid though, while she HATES getting low scores, nothing motivates her like a low score, or a fall. This week she has improved her kip to a straight-arm kip (this is the kid that couldn't kip at all a few weeks ago, and missed one of them in competition 4 days ago). Plus her worst score was on bars which is usually her best event. This will probably be the motivation it takes to keep her going all summer. Next year, LOOK OUT! :thumbsup:

There is a big skill jump from 4 to 5, and the skill jump from 5 to 6 isn't quite as big (the vault is the same, and we go from cartwheel to back walk over on the beam, there are a few more flippy things on the floor, but the bar routine isn't that much harder, just longer) She was supposed to be learning L5 skills all year, but whenever they split the class up to learn new skills, they were putting her with the L4's, otherwise she would have been ready much sooner. I really think they wanted her to stay in L4 so she would do well at states (which she did) but I think she got rooked that they didn't let her work on the skills sooner.

Our hope is that she will be in L6 by the end of next season. I'm not trying to be a pushy mom (and I hope I don't come off like one) but she's not a complainer, or a whiner, or a worrier, so I don't think they ever pay attention to her. I tell her to say something, but she doesn't like to get in trouble, so she's afraid. I've had it ingrained in me not to make waves, the coach is always right, etc. but I"m spitting mad now, so I'm going to do whatever it takes to get her into a higher group. DD has been in gym for 5 years now! (Sorry for the rant):eek:

Snowbound

Are you mad because she did not move up sooner but she had a great year repeating 4? I had orginally thought they might move up my daughter this year to 5 but they never did but she had a great year and I am expecting her to do well at level 5 next year. She got her kip once last night but it disappeared but she told me she did an awesome vault in practice last night. I am just taking it one level at a time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back