Parents first back handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
My 6 year old daughter at practice last night did her first back handspring she was so excited. She was using the incline mat and had a few attempts and she just kept trying finally she did several all on her own. Of course they were terrible looking and she kept landing on her head but alas she did them. I was so surprised. They have only just started working on them and I figured "sure she'll get in by spring time" never thinking that she was that close. She just glowed the rest of the evening. And of course had to show daddy when he came home from work. Now if she just just fix landing on bent arms and smashing her head I would feel alot better. I just kept cringing everytime I saw her land on her head.

Congrats to her. I think they all go through the bent arms, head crashing phase. They seem to survive and move on to develop lovely BHS's with practice.

It is a great milestone in gym along with BWO, BT and anything on the beam and the dreaded KIP.:D

She must be very proud of herself, takes a lot of courage to throw yourself backwards like that.:eek:

Congrats! My 6 yr old just did hers for the first time a couple months ago. They don't look great at the meets yet, but I'm sure with time they will improve. It is very exciting though....the first big skill. She'll be smiling for weeks & walking on cloud nine! bring the video camera to practice next time, she'll enjoy watching herself doing them over and over again.

Congrats !!!

My dd is 7, and seems to be finally coming out of her bent arms, crash your head phase. They are very pretty on the incline mat and tumble track and we are at about 50% good on floor.

She is currently working on her front mill circle on bars :( it is frustrating her to no end. It is the only element of her routine that she cannot do alone.

Oh well, all in good time

Thanks guys!

Its good to know that your kids all survived the head crashing stage. She is really getting a lot of new skills lately . She got her BWO last week. In gymnastics it seems like once they master a skill then there are new ones that are the new challenge. It a good thing she loves it so much and no sense of fear!

tell her congratulations! isn't it awesome when they finally get a skill after working hard on it? my DD got hers 2 weeks ago and still sometimes lands on her head. she has to be reminded to keep her arms straight. i actually hate watching her do them because i am afraid she will break her neck. glad to see other's kids have also done the head landing thing and survived. :D

Mariposamama,

I can't watch either. The last meet I was videotaping and was so busy yelling "go" to her, I forgot to follow with the camera. So I have the entire floor routine up until that ROBHS and then her final salute to the judges. Even if I am watching at practice I have a hard time watching her do it. I get chest pain.I swear she is landing on her head, coaches assure me it isn't as bad as it looks.

I am sure alot of these skills our daughters will be doing in years to come will make us feel just like this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back