Parents First Beam Bite

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD (6) got her first beam bite at training tonight. She got right back up on the beam and then had a bit of ice. She was do proud to be the first one in her group to get that badge of honour ;) She says she 'a a big girl
Gymnast now
Glad she's not hurt and was able to shake it off like the big girls lol. So cute :)

Ah, that's cute. I remember the pride my dd felt with hers and the bruises on the hips, and the callouses and so on :) I think she still feels kind of proud of her badges of industry.

She says she 'a a big girl Gymnast now

How cute! Even though it warms a coach's heart to hear words like that we take it all in with a grain of salt..... rendered from the tears of those who worked their way up from that inaugural beam bite to the day they split the beam for their first time.:eek::(

That's when they all wish they were still in diapers, and not because the extra padding would come in handy.o_O

My daughter is very proud of her scar from her arm surgery, but that's a badge of honor I'd just as soon see other gymmies skip!

Good thing she didn't freak out about it I have high school girls that if they have a scary fall (even if its not a hard skill) will cry about it, then not do it for days and then be scared out of their minds about the skill. So its great that she's so mentally strong! I wish every kid handled a beam bite like that!

It was funny talking to her about it last night , she kind of giggled at the thought that someone would be afraid to get back up. She told me it's gymnastics sometimes you fall, it just means you were trying your best.

I can only hope that she keeps that positive outlook when the big scary skills come ( if she makes it that far )

Last night they were just doing long jumps on the beam.

Ok newbie question - what is a beam bite? A bruise from falling? Or a 'raspberry/scrape' from a sliding fall on the beam? A cut that splits open and bleeds? I take it it's an injury, but gauging the severity o_O:eek:

glad she's ok! :)

P.S. I'm pretty sure I know what is meant by 'splitting the beam' - that is one is obvious and too painful to contemplate.

It was funny talking to her about it last night , she kind of giggled at the thought that someone would be afraid to get back up. She told me it's gymnastics sometimes you fall, it just means you were trying your best.

I can only hope that she keeps that positive outlook when the big scary skills come ( if she makes it that far )

Last night they were just doing long jumps on the beam.
My OG split the beam last night on her leap (170º... her best ever) during her routine run - thru (they were doing pressure sets in preparation for a meet next weekend)... she got up and finished the routine. In addition to the MAIN injury, she also got bitten by the beam in 3 places, so she was in a "little" pain.
Then toward the end of practice, they were to do "Club" work... they pick things they want to focus on and all girls working on the same thing are in these clubs... she is currently in the "I want to actually be able to use my grips" club and the Beam Back Tuck Dismount Club. (Last time she split the beam, she was practicing back tucks...).
She started club work on the bars and did a FULL routine in grips :) Then she actually CHOSE to go work her back tuck off the beam. She did 3-4 before practice was over.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back