Parents First Injury!! Hyperextended Knee?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

starmaker

DD last night at practice was running beam routines when she hyperextended her knee doing one the best scales I have ever seen her do. It was really pretty and her coach gave her a thumbs up but once she dismounted the tears started. She talked to coach for a few minutes and continue on beam. Needless to say her scales were much weaker. Then she went off to vault (which she loves) and after her first run started crying again. She continues and finishes vault with no complaints.
Then it was off to tumble track with anothe coach. They were practicing front tucks (again dd loves tumble track) and afte her first started crying again. At this point I realize that she is serious about the pain. She sits out a couple turns but couldn't help her self and did a few.
After class she barely complained and I just sent her to bed without much thought.

This morning she couldn't extend her leg past 90 degree. Her knee seemed a little swollen too. I iced it and called the doctor who said just to rest for a couple of days and if pain or swelling continues she'd need to see an Ortho. As of this afternoon she extend her leg better but there is still some pain.

How long will her hyperextended knee hurt her for? Is there anything I can do to speed up the healing process? I want her to be fully recover from it before resuming regular training. Should I still take her to class to do conditioning, upper body or bars? I am afraid HC might push her sooner than she is ready.

Has anyone else had experience with a hyperextened knee??

RICE Rest Ice Elevate Compress is the basic advice for any injury. If you don't think her coaches will listen to you, then keep her out of gym. To train on it whilst is is sore and inflamed is asking for long term issues. Do as the doc says, I would give her 3 days of rest and then see how it is, if it is still sore take her to the ortho.

My DD did the same thing to her knee on the first day of sleep away camp, she tried to train on it all week, she ended up in physio for a long time due to the lack of immediate care. I learned the hard way.

Poor little thing, it is no fun when you cannot do your favourite thing.

ITA with Bog. If you don't trust the coaches 110% to just let her do some conditioning then keep her home. She might even try to "sneak" in a few things she shouldn't be doing as you noted she was hurting on tumble trak, but got up and kept trying the front tuck. Missing 1 or 2 practices won't be the end of the world(ok, she'll think it is!), but it is much better to know she's going back pain free and with complete range of motion. If she's still having pain, then do as the doc says and get her seen.

I would also monitor the 1st practice back to see how she is really doing.

BTW--There is no way to speed the healing of a knee sprain. Trying to push too fast usually only sets the child back.

I totally agree with Bog and GLM. I would do RICE and not let her back to practice until she is better. She will go crazy without the gym, but better to miss a few days than to go back, injure herself worse and end up missing weeks or more. I think it is healthy to teach them from young that pain is a sign that your body needs to rest and you need to take care of yourself when your body is injured.

Hope she gets better soon. Lots of healing vibes to her.

Ok so I am keeping dd away from the gym tonight but I think she'll be good to go for friday's class. This morning she tried bearing her weight on it and she said it didn't hurt. The problem is I don't know whether to believe her. She five years old and loves to tell stories..... I also think she is trying to convince me to let her go tonight.

Thank you all for all your suggestions. I iced her leg for 20 min every hour all day yesterday. I tied an Ace bandage and her knee seems to be getting better. The swelling is almost gone. Children are so resilient!! If it would of happened to me I would still be bed ridden. LOL!

Be strong, mama. They can be convincing, LOL. It sounds like she is on the road to being all better and hopefully by Friday she will be back to herself. I would try to explain to her the importance of NOT doing stuff if she is in pain. That she could seriously injure herself and end up missing for weeks or more if she actually still has pain and does stuff to aggravate it. I would watch her at practice as well for any signs that she still does have pain and take her home if she does.

Glad she is feeling better!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back