Parents First invitional for DD1 early AM start

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ollieblueeyes

Proud Parent
This weekend is ODD's first invitatioal. She seems calm, confident and prepared. It's an out of state meet with an early start time so we will be staying overnight the day before. So far no sign of the nerves she had last year. Let's hope they stay away!

Starting so early what do you offer to eat? I was going to bring yogurt, cheese, berries, banana bread and maybe chocolate milk. Do you think that's enough to keep her fueled?

Please send her calm fairies.....

I usually like to make sure there is some protein for D before a meet, even that early. He will have pancakes and peanut butter most of the time, as it is his favorite!

Good luck!

if you do pancakes definitely make sure you have something more substantial in there too....pancakes alone give us low blood sugar within an hour or two ;)

if you do pancakes definitely make sure you have something more substantial in there too....pancakes alone give us low blood sugar within an hour or two ;)
Whole grain pancakes really aren't sugar loaded, and if you use real maple syrup, it doesn't require much of that either. Whole wheat, milk, eggs, a little sugar, a little oil. Made correctly, it's more balanced (protein/complex carbs/simple carbs/fat) than you might think.

I also encourage a breakfast with protein, whether it's eggs or toast with peanut butter. Keeps DD full for a longer period of time. I also keep her away from greasy foods (bacon, sausage, etc) and encourage fruit. It's hard because she has to be encouraged to eat (doesn't like to eat first thing in the AM). Good luck to your daughter. :D

All last year, my daughter ate yogurt parfaits before early meets. We made our own flavors by blending in frozen fruit and a little sweetener. (to keep the sugar content down, and get some good vitamins in there) We layered the yogurt with sliced almonds or granola, and frozen blueberries, inside disposable plastic cups. (and hauled the cups in a cooler)

Before her first meet this year, we went to Einstein's Bagels, and she had a bagel sandwich. (eggs and ham) She said it kept her full and energized longer than the yogurt did, yet didn't fill her up too much.

Sending calm faries your way! (-: Good luck to your daughter this weekend!

I also keep her away from greasy foods (bacon, sausage, etc) and encourage fruit.
Turkey or chicken sausages are much less greasy, and easy to get kids to eat! Wrap them in a tortilla with a bit of mustard and mayo, and DD will gobble it right up.

You're asking about choices so you must not have a picky eater! LOL

Whenever another mom asks me what I feed her for different occasions, my response is always whatever I can find that she will swallow. Picky children are BEARS to feed!

For example, we were at Circle of Stars this past weekend and stayed at the Hyatt. They offer a hot breakfast buffet in one of the dining rooms so I thought I was set.

Oh no. The eggs tasted funny (they REALLY did), the sausage was "too round", the made to order waffle was "too thick". Bagels are "gross", fruit makes her hungrier, the cereal wasn't the "right kind". And so on and so on.

I ended up paying $50 for her to watch my mother and I eat breakfast.

Whenever another mom asks me what I feed her for different occasions, my response is always whatever I can find that she will swallow. Picky children are BEARS to feed!

For example, we were at Circle of Stars this past weekend and stayed at the Hyatt. They offer a hot breakfast buffet in one of the dining rooms so I thought I was set.

Oh no. The eggs tasted funny (they REALLY did), the sausage was "too round", the made to order waffle was "too thick". Bagels are "gross", fruit makes her hungrier, the cereal wasn't the "right kind". And so on and so on.

We plan for food when we travel, because DD only eats about 11 different things. Restaurants are a blast!

Ha, ha, the eggs were "funny" and the potatoes were "raw and disgusting" at our hotel this past weekend, too. We had a 7:45 a.m. report time, so I ended up giving her a banana, a Greek yogurt and a whole grain breakfast bar that I brought from home. Thank goodness I did that! My kid is normally not a picky eater at all. She also doesn't like to eat too much before a meet our she ends up with a stomach ache. Btdt.

Good luck this weekend! My DD doesn't like to eat too much before a meet. She will usually have yogurt and a banana and milk.

My DD is not only a picky eater, she also has food allergies. She does not eat eggs unless I make homemade french toast. She cannot eat peanut butter. She does not eat any kind of meat for breakfast. Ever.

We have an 8am report time on Sat, with an overnight hotel stay. I will be bringing her own milk and buying a bagel that we know they have downstairs one of the little stands. She won't "refuel" during the meet (i know some kids will bring fruit, etc) but will be demanding lunch as soon as she's done.

Best wishes for this weekend :). Early report times are good and bad lol. My dd usually has waffles with nutella and apples. I also bring protein bars and cheese sticks. Have fun!

Good luck! I hope she stays calm. The thing about early morning meets is that they don't have all day to think about it so usually the girls stay calmer - well, if they can sleep that is. LOL

Us too!

We have an early start time late next month and it just happens to be our only "distance" meet, so we're driving down the day before and staying in a hotel. DD does not like to eat first thing in the morning so I anticipate she will be eating fruit and dry cereal in the car on the way to the venue. This is her first year of competition and we are having a blast!

Ds actually eats the whole meet! Fruit leathers, bananas, applesauce, crackers, almonds, pretty much anything. Sometimes jerky. The boys' meets are so long that he has to refuel or he loses it (behaviorally!) Our last meet he reported at 12:15 (after a good lunch) and we didn't leave until almost 5. So his bag is full of snacks.

Our head coach warns new parents not to feed their kids too much right before a meet--nervous stomachs filled with food can be a bad combination ;-). But my DD typically eats something light--yogurt, banana, etc. No cereal (unless it's mini-wheats) as she hates cereal. And waffles work, but she doesn't like syrup (yes, somewhat of a picky eater, but not horrible--we can do hotels breakfasts!)

Well, we survived the early morning meet. DD ate better than expected with yogurt, cheese and a piece of banana bread. The meet went great. DD seems to have conquered her stage fright and really enjoyed the meet. Compared to last year I could not have been happier. She had a solid performance with a 34.975. I think its a great start to the season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back