First L7 meet report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2Brats

Proud Parent
We had our first optional meet yesterday. Can I say how much I LOVE optionals??? Not only is it about a gazillion times more fun to be at a meet without listening to the same midi soundtrack on repeat for hours but Allison is totally in her element as an optional. She had so much fun yesterday and the team as a whole seamed so much more prepared than last year as L6.

Vault: 9.35!!! I know it's the 3rd year of the handspring vault but after two years of scoring low 8s on the vault I was in shock when her score went up. I knew it had improved, but I didn't know how much. She placed 2nd.

Bars: 9.15 and she placed 1st! This was her first bar score over 9 since L4 so you can only imagine how ecstatic she was, although she did complain about how her fly away was still too 'whippy.' I guess it's good that she's knows where she needs to improve...

Beam: 8.65. She had a bad fall recently and so was pretty tentative about everything, which doesn't always translate into super high scores for the beam, but at least she stayed on and had a very respectable score so no complaints here!

Floor: 9.1 and took 2nd.

AA: 36.25 and 2nd. After a L6 season of almost never making it on the podium, it was amazing to see her do so well this year. I was already thrilled with our optional coaches and have seen her happier this year than she's been for a while. Both our L7 and L8 teams (same sessions) placed first. I only got video of her floor, thanks to an extremely 'helpful' 3 yr old who kept sticking her pictures in front of my lens but I'll try to get that up soon.

Nicely done! Optionals is quite a nice change. We were all enjoying new music when they had a couple of 7's that used the level 6 floor music. You should have heard the groan that went up! I see that you are from Vegas....are you going to Lady Luck?

Many congrats! Those are fabulous scores for a first meet (or any meet, for that matter). Can't wait to see the video.

I can't WAIT for optionals! 2 more meets plus states and we're DONE WITH COMPULSARIES! She did 2 years at level 3, and then one year at each of the others, so this is our 5th year of compulsaries.

Wow, what a great start to her L7 season!!!

MaryA, you already know your DD is moving to L7 next year?? They don't tell us anything about move ups for months...:(

WTG to your DD. Sounds like she really kicked off her L7 season with a bang. Cant wait to see the floor video..and cant wait to hear how she progresses through the season

Wow! What a great start to the season! So love to hear kids on the podium after not being the prior season. She should be so proud. Looking forward to seeing her floor routine.

MaryA, you already know your DD is moving to L7 next year?? They don't tell us anything about move ups for months...:(

Yes, barring injury or crippling fear or whatever, HC has already said that she's moving up! In fact, told us that was her plan for her (no promises, of course) back in the fall.

Nicely done! Optionals is quite a nice change. We were all enjoying new music when they had a couple of 7's that used the level 6 floor music. You should have heard the groan that went up! I see that you are from Vegas....are you going to Lady Luck?

Thank you! I can't imagine if someone had pulled out that floor music. Yikes! Although their were a couple of rather annoying pieces... at least they were only played once! I don't think we are competing in Lady Luck. I don't know why not. It seems funny that people come from all over and we don't do it but I guess our coaches have their reasons.

Thank you! And we knew last year as well, pretty much after the first L6 meet. Allison had an awful start to the year last year, we had moved to a new gym and things were a lot different and she was super stressed out. We had a meeting with the Optional coaches and they pretty much told her to survive L6, get her mobility score and she'd be able to move up. After her first meet, one of the coaches asked her about her scores and then told her, 'see ya in a couple of months,' and they did move the girls up right after state. It was soooo nice. And so nice being able to count down those last compulsory meets, too!!

Thank you everyone else, as well. I can't tell you how excited I am about this season. Last year was an endurance year and it's so awesome to see her enthusiastic about all aspects of the sport again!

Love it, all of it! Glad she did so well and is loving the sport again. We are enjoying a year in Xcel gold after a sometimes unpleasant L5 year...it is such a nice change...when I hear the L5 music I feel ill. My DD's goal is to make it to L7 someday, I so hope she makes it. Sounds like your DD is off to an awesome start!

Great scores at her 1st L7 meet!! Some girls just really shine in the optionals!! My own DD is enjoying her X-Cel season so much more than any of her compulsary seasons! Looks like your DD might just fall into that same catagory! Congrats to her!
BTW...I also have a son who seems to only want my attention when I am trying to take pictures or a video!

BTW...I also have a son who seems to only want my attention when I am trying to take pictures or a video!

Thank you! And seriously? What's up with that? She can play and color the rest of the four hours except during those 3 1/2 minutes that I really need no distractions. Sigh. I'm going to look for a babysitter next time. And I watched my first xcel meet this year and thought 'How did I not know about this?' Such a cool program!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back