WAG First level 4 meet of the season (actually - ever!). Judges Cup.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! Can I post this here nowadays? :)

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I thought I'd comment on DD's first L4 meet, especially after she's struggled so much this past year (thanks for letting me lean on you all here).

In discussions before the meet (due to DD's nerves) DD decided on a realistic goal of scoring 8's on the events, and everything above it was a bonus. Season goal was earning the magic 33AA and making state. While DD was dreaming of her first trophy, I knew just how talented the group of girls she is with is, so we talked about just worrying about having fun. I didn't want her disappointed.

Anyway, we survived, and I think we were really pleasantly surprised! She started off on bars - it was first event and she was first up, and pulled a 9.0! To say we were shocked would be an understatement. Up until mid-July, DD was very inconsistent on her shoot thru and mil-circle, she missed a lot of connections, and her dismount was non-existent. As early as early August, the highest she'd scored in practice was -seriously- a 6.4.

Next up was balance beam and DD again scored a 9.0. She looked very nervous, but had the best looking handstand I've seen out of her; that said, you could definitely see her nerves - she was very tentative in pretty much everything else. Still thrilled with the score. Beam has actually been her best event for some time now.

On floor DD earned a 8.95. That darned .05 points, lol. This score was also a bit of a surprise as she still has to clean up that ROBHS some. So happy for her, though.

Vault was a surprise in a not so good way. DD scored an 8.8. Not exactly disappointed with it, but it's usually her second-best event!

DD's team is VERY deep in talent for her age group. Quite a few of the girls have been in TOPs since they were tiny. The AA winner (from DD's gym) scored a mid-38. There were 18 girls in her age division and they awarded to 50%. DD tied with 3 other girls for 7th with a 35.75. Every girl from DD's gym (5 total) in her age group placed.

Team took first, and I think DD was even more excited about that than winning her first trophy.

All in all it was so very worth it! Can't wait for the next one.

Sounds like a perfectly successful meet! Congrats to your little gymmie and may the rest of the season be as wonderful!

First CONGRATULATIONS to your DD on an awesome meet! Our Gym is the same way, the level 4s first meet is Judges Cup, 1st weekend in December. It is a large meet and the scoring is extra hard. I am constantly complaining how the girls need another meet under their belts before that one. My DD is a Level 5 this year and the same thing, Judges Cup is her first meet. I will start complaining again, once they release the meet schedule and if there are no earlier meets on it. So the fact you DD went into this stressful meet for her first meet and scored like she did, is amazing. Her scores should just go up from here.

Second don't sorry about what her team mates do. Stress to her she is only competing against herself, but she needs to do her best for the team. Explain how the team scores work. My dd and I always set mini goals for her at meets. We do not worry about AA scores, what teammates do etc... Sometimes, her goal is to beat a PR on an event, sometimes it is more basic, like hold my handstand for 2 seconds on the beam, not wobble on a particular turn that gives her a problem, etc.. When she meets her goals she comes away feeling great about her performance. By the end of the season, it all comes together. The fact you have some talented girls at you gym, is testament, to the wonderful coaches and program you have.

Thanks, GymBeeMom!

Sglemom, DD was just simply thrilled that she scored 9s on those first two events. As I said, it was quite unexpected, actually. She was all smiles. She actually giggled at scoring in the 8s on the other two events, because she thought in her head that if she were to get a 9, that it would be on floor and/or vault (not sure I agree on the floor - she typically says she scores better on beam in practice, but there's no arguing with an 8-year old!). She took it very, very well - she was all smiles, and said she can't wait two weeks to do another meet.

Most people thought the scoring on floor was far more tough than the other events, but it's tough to say because at this meet, there are two on each event competing at once.

So yes, her current goals are 1) do just as well on bars again, 2) clean up that ROBHS more, 3) more confidence on beam, and 4) less "fishy" on vault (she piked a little, apparently). Oh, and to get blue ribbons on all events at one meet (though I did stress that scoring is subjective). We discussed that her team just has a ton of talent (and other teams that weren't there will, too!), and that's a good thing, and that all she can 'control' is her own performance. Trophies and ribbons should just be the icing on the cake.

Anyway, thanks again! It was so much fun for us.

Congrats to your daughter on a solid first meet. Our first Level 4 meet is in a few weeks and I'm starting to get excited. I love competition season! Reading meet reports is my favorite part of being on CB.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back