WAG First Meet Done

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It sounds as if your girls are right on track. My girls have their first ever meet coming up in a few weeks as well, and we also practice for 3 days at 2 hrs each. I feel like the first meet should just be a learning experience (i.e. just a way to get their feet wet), and I think that the "gymnastics polish" will come with time (at least I hope so anyways o_O)! At least now they all know what to work on and expect. For their first time though, it sounds as if they did great!

Here is from a parent's point of view. I wouldn't move them down. We had a similar situation at our old gym. The girls had gone into L4 and the first meet was a disaster. Most of our girls completely bottomed out in all their scores. The next week the coach moved the whole team to the Xcel program so they wouldn't be required to do the harder skills. It really shattered my daughter's confidence that her coach didn't have faith in her that she could learn those skills. It was a major set back for many of the girls. Since you pointed out yourself that you are really a recreactional gym, I would focus on that with the girls. Try to be the best, but always have fun first!

I wouldn't dream of moving them down. It was their first meet ever. We have made some adjustments to our practices - we are doing a lot more drills to help improve their form. I'm sure they will all do fine. Nobody in our gym is going to the Olympics. We are here to have fun.

It sounds like your gym is very crowded but is there any way that you could get the girls, or maybe just the golds, for a few extra hours (or even one extra hour, maybe after Saturday practice), whether to condition for form's sake or to run routines? If your girls just started team in June, they are behind compared to many other teams so some extra practice, even just another hour, would probably help a lot. It sounds like it went very well given that you haven't been a team very long!

Last night we had a talk at the beginning of practice to go over the meet, so that took a bit of time out of practice. They had their usual warm up. We then broke into our three groups and did line drills on the floor with an initial focus on turns and leaps, and then handstands. After that we did some tumbling. Then we did 20 minute rotations of beam, vault, and conditioning. That's all we had time for yesterday. Today we will warm up, do rotations again of beam, bars, and conditioning. After Parkour leaves, we will have the floor for about 45 minutes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News