Parents First "Meet"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jillc

Proud Parent
My DD (6yo) has her first gymnastics "meet" (just an in-house mini meet).

We were told the girls would be judged, but not scored -- and would receive one of 3 ribbon colors (I'm guess the color is some indication of how well they did).

Do I need to prep my daughter at all about this ribbon thing?
I was just planning on telling her, just do your best like you do at practice, have fun, and listen to your coach...

But I don't want the ribbon thing to surprise her, especially if she doesn't get the "best" ribbon and figures that out. Or even worse if she would say something insensitive to a teammate about their ribbon color.

FWIW -- I have no idea if the coach told the girls about the ribbons and I haven't asked my daughter yet.

Thoughts?

I would stick with your original plan. The coaches should inform them about ribbons. This way there is no added importance to the ribbons and praise should be placed on her effort. Enjoy the ride and congrats to your DD!

Reactions: sce
No sage advice.

But, a little story about ribbons. DD's first year in gymnastics, she was on a (old) level 3 rec team. They did mini local meets and received scores and ribbons, but no placements. Blue was for 9.0+, red for 8.0+ and on down the line. I no longer remember what scores pink was for, but it was like 6.0+ or something. DD was bummed about her blue and red ribbons because the pink were a lot prettier. She was almost 8 and the connection with scores and colors took longer for her to figure out.

Hopefully your DD will just like the pretty colors and being recognized for her routines

Tell her to have fun and to try her best, and that no matter what happens; as long as she did those two things nothing else matters. I wouldn't mention the ribbons... coach probably will .

Reactions: sce
Last year dd had her first in house meet where judges handed out different color ribbons. They were handed out to the girls in an envelope and instructed by coaches to open the envelope at home. Possibly you and your DD will have the same experience.

Just have fun and take plenty of pics.

Your initial thought process sounds the best and still what I say before every meet. "I love you, do your best and have fun".

No sage advice.

But, a little story about ribbons. DD's first year in gymnastics, she was on a (old) level 3 rec team. They did mini local meets and received scores and ribbons, but no placements. Blue was for 9.0+, red for 8.0+ and on down the line. I no longer remember what scores pink was for, but it was like 6.0+ or something. DD was bummed about her blue and red ribbons because the pink were a lot prettier. She was almost 8 and the connection with scores and colors took longer for her to figure out.

Hopefully your DD will just like the pretty colors and being recognized for her routines
I have a similar story. They ran out of blue ribbons at a meet, so DD got to choose what color. She picked the rainbow color (which was the color for the lowest scores). It's still her favorite ribbon because it's the only one she ever got like it.

OP - no need to say anything. She will be excited about anything she gets. Take lots and lots of pictures and video. They get big so fast and it's great to see how far they go.

Enjoy and do not worry about the ribbons. She'll likely want her favorite color regardless of what they mean. Our leo colors are lime/black. The girls always want the green ribbons (under 7.0) at our house meets, but the coach tells them they don't.......LOL. ODD won first for vault at a meet this year and was bummed her metal came on a blue lanyard when 4th was purple.....ha ha! She wanted to trade......LOL! Have fun!

My dd is 6 and she has no idea on ribbon color. She just gets excited to get ribbons! She is aware if her scores, but still hasn't connected the two. (And for scores, we encourage her to strive to improve her own personal scores and not worry about what others get or what place she gets.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back