MAG First party. Gluten party. Sigh.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

emorymom

Proud Parent
My son has been on his new team for 2 weeks and is so excited to be going to the annual team party and their end of year banquet and get to know the other kids better.

It's not reasonable but I am about to start crying lest anything go wrong since he so wants to just be one of the guys. It's a pizza and cake or cookie party and at least for this one he'll have to take his own food.

Everyone on this team is super nice and he is so glad to be part of it. But sometimes kids are weird about food differences. Like any differences. Even if it's in the best possible spirit. Sometimes he ends up feeling like he's on the outside looking in.

Most of the time if he starts to feel sad about his diet, I tell him ok, but also he's one of the most fortunate kids in the world, he does not have time to eat every gluten-free junk food available to him, and he has nothing to complain about. But everyone once in a while I feel sad for him.

Pink and Fluffy is allergic to flavourings, colourings, detergents, sun cream, paint - the list goes on - it brings her out in horrid weaping eczema. She has always had to say no to the birthday cake, sweets, finger painting etc but its amazing how the cope. I think being "on team" is a bit different to "real life" in that the other guys will be very supportive and he will have a great time.

Emorymom, bake up or buy a batch of gluten-free cookies or bring some rice krispie treats -- enough for him to share with his teammates. It will be fine. It might even be better than fine if he discovers he's not the only one with some food issues!

In addition, at least here, there are so many food differences that the kids are usually very matter of fact about it. From vegetarians, gluten-free, no food dyes, and the many other food allergies, if the kids just says, "I'm allergic" i have found the others to be very accepting. If you can take something, that might help, and I bet there are others on team with some form of food issue!

Hope he has a great time!

I feel for him, I'm on gluten-free diet too! I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease when I was 12, and yes sometimes it's difficult to feel included when you have to bring all your own stuff, but honestly most people will be great about it. I find a lot of them are just curious about what I can and can't eat, and will ask tons of questions (My favourite: 'wait, so can you drink milk'?.... haha um yes :rolleyes:). I'm with skschlag, there's so many kids with allergies that most don't bat an eye when you can't eat something. Have him bring something he can share so he feels less left out. Good luck, I'm sure everything will go smoothly :)

I feel for you and him. My non gym ds has food issues and always feels funny when he goes somewhere new. But after a while it is no big deal and just part of who he is. I really like the idea of him bringing something to share. Hope it goes smoothly!

My DD has had food intolerances in the past she grew out of them it was not celiac s. she found her gym friends to be the best at understanding things. Some parents would even go as far as asking what they could buy for her to eat.

Gluten intolerance and Celiacs have come along way in the 10 years since she was diagnosed so there are things which the general public would eat and never know. Bake some treats send a pizza if need be and tell him to enjoy.

Gymnasts are an odd bunch anyways food issues won't make him stand out in that road :)

Thanks guys. We have had a bad previous experience (or two) but that does not mean it will recur. Sometimes we just get sad for the good old days, maybe.

One of my sons if GF too, and can't have dairy or eggs, among other things. It's tough, but we always pack his own food. It's still so hard for him, and the comments drive me nuts. Other parents talk about how my kids eat real, healthy foods as if we are health nuts, but it's not about that! It's all my kids can eat. My kid is also allergic to peanuts, and I can't tell you the number of times parents bring peanuts in for their kids to snack on even though they know my child is allergic. Oh well for us.

Poor kid, allergies are rough. Not totally the same, but I was on medication as a child and felt so uncomfortable going to sleepovers because I knew I would need to explain why I needed to take pills in the morning and what they were for. I had ways to explain it without sharing too many details, but it was still tough just being different from friends.
I think bringing a snack your son enjoys would be a good step, it might break the ice with some of the kids and show them that even though he can't have some foods, there are treats that he can eat and his allergies don't stop him from having fun and splurging on junk food occasionally. It might also introduce them to something new.
You might find the parents to be more welcoming than you think, with some even asking for specifics so they can help make sure his needs are met at team parties and gatherings. I'm currently coordinating a group of incoming volunteers, one of which has multiple food allergies, and I'm really interested in learning more about what she CAN eat (as opposed to what she can't) so I can help make sure her needs are met. Some people really just want information and suggestions on how to be accommodating, because for people who don't deal with serious food allergies themselves, the whole process of finding things for someone to eat who does can be really daunting! Information and suggestions can be a great help.

We have a gluten free kid, a dairy free, a peanut allergy, a tree nut allergy, and a vegan (all different gymmies) on our team! I had a hard time making cupcakes that fulfilled all those requirements, but I tried!!! The kids appreciated it. (BTW none of them are mine). I like the idea of bringing a meal that mirrors the party menu but is suitable for your gymmie. Also, bringing a treat to share, will help. I have found, that our team has made an effort to include the girls in a very matter of fact manner- veggie plates, fruit plates, and Popsicles are all very good ideas that can accommodate lots of food restrictions ( pops come dye free).

I hope you find that over time, the other children will become matter of fact as well - for instance, if I forget and try to pack peanut butter cookies, DD reminds me that her friends at gym can't be around nuts and won't take them for snack!!! So bringing peanuts would never happen- and she is only 9.

You probably already know this, but if you want him to just be one of the other kids then don't make a big deal of it. Bring him his own food and don't bring it up or make a big deal. It's sometimes the parents who come to parties, school etc and make a big commotion about it that cause the other kids to even notice in the first place. We are a gluten free family and half the battle is how the parents handle themselves. It's actually pretty normal these days to eat gluten free rather its by medical necessity or personal choice.

My gymmie ate dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegetarian for a year and a half. It was HARD, she wasn 't even growing or gaining weight. So I totally sympathize!! If dairy is ok, there are plenty of pizza places who make gluten-free pizzas. Now that she's got her diagnosis (abdominal migraines), we've been able to reintroduce gluten and dairy in small amounts. But yeah, it's rough. I guess it also depends on the age of the kids whether they will give him a hard time. I think the really young ones are more forgiving (or oblivious). But I agree, don't make a big deal of it and hopefully no one else will either.

Emorymom, bake up or buy a batch of gluten-free cookies or bring some rice krispie treats -- enough for him to share with his teammates. It will be fine. It might even be better than fine if he discovers he's not the only one with some food issues!

Yes! (-: How about bringing some ice cream to go along with the cake? A regular brand, with no cookie pieces in it/etc, so it is gluten-free without obviously being so. Or how about bringing some chips, or chicken wings to share?

I have a gluten-free gymnast, also. You are not alone. (-:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back