Parents First real meet and couple of questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nope, not a fan of awards. I like swim meets much better, ribbons and medals are sent home with the coaches at regular meets. At State Meet awards are given throughout the meet between events. No 1.5 hour award ceremony!

My DD is often in the youngest age group so usually first done with awards. And, in all honesty, I wouldn't miss seeing how the older girls did on our team. I am so incredibly proud of them all and love seeing them get their awards, and wouldn't miss cheering for them. I have to believe I'm not in the minority.

My DD is often in the youngest age group so usually first done with awards.

Some meets (including our state meet last year) did awards by event then by age group. So, each age group for vault first, then bars, etc. It kept the younger kids interested.

Some meets (including our state meet last year) did awards by event then by age group. So, each age group for vault first, then bars, etc. It kept the younger kids interested.

Every meet my dd went to last year worked that way. Since it was her first season competing, I thought that was how it was always done? Guess not. They also always have team awards after announcing all the individual awards. All the parents and kids always stood until the end from what I saw.

My dd is a younger one but she wouldn't want to miss her older friends getting awards. I enjoy seeing them too! They've all worked hard & it's great to see their hard work rewarded!! There have been gyms that pack their kids up & leave before its over & I think it's very rude. But then, we have been when there were completely & utterly obnoxious parents and gymnasts during awards saying ugly stuff when their team or gymnasts didn't get a medal or didn't place where they felt they should've. Someone sat right behind me talking about our team. Those same parents stood on chairs screaming when their girls got a top spot. I'm proud of my daughter, her team & coaches but we (our entire team & parents) clap for everyone, all teams, all gymnasts. There's no need for ugliness for any reason.

It is not my favourite part of a meet, but we do it and we stay because it is the right and polite thing to do. We also don't have 1.5 hour awards. It's usually half hour or so. And my dd goes to meets she isn't even competing in to watch her friends and still insists on staying for awards, lol.

My daughters close friends on her team are in the same age group. Unfortunately our best 3 aren't finishing in the top 3 for best team awards. Would love to see the team get one! Would make the rest of the awards better. But it's nice to see the other girls get recognized for their hard work. Our awards are about an hour plus with them getting everything all set. By the end I am ready to go, but would never leave early.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back