MAG First Travel Meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

magmom

Proud Parent
(I'm been lurking for a while. This is my first post.)

My son (L4) has his first travel meet coming up. What do I need to pack besides his uniform and clothes/toiletries? We're trying to travel light so we don't need to check bags.

Also, they have a late afternoon session. How on earth do you keep a gymnast (and non-gymnast sibling) occupied in a strange city until their session? Normally I'd have them in the hotel pool, but Coach says no swimming before the meet. Just games and tv? I could take them to the local science museum (about an hour from the meet location) - would that be appropriate, or too far / too tiring?

Any advice on surviving our first travel meet would be greatly appreciated!

Socks!! Don't forget the socks! Clean, non messy snacks for during the competition (think nuts or goldfish crackers). Don't forget prewrap/tape in case he gets a rip. Does he have an ipad/pod or a small hand held gaming device, a phone or ereader? Then don't forget the chargers.
Is there a movie theater nearby? I don't think the museum thing is too bad as long as its not for hours and hours. And make sure he eats a good lunch. Swimming is a no-no, for sure.

Good luck!!

I'd be nervous traveling to a museum an hour away in a strange city on the same day my DD was competing. I would just be afraid that, for some reason, I wouldn't make it back on time. Does he have teammates competing in the session before his? Going to watch their meet might be fun for him and would have the added advantage of getting you to the meet site early.

NO PEANUTS in the meet bag - some meets feel very strongly about this one, so don't risk it....

We always do a sleep late and cartoons in the hotel (but then we don't have a TV at home, so that's a treat)...we've done short zoo trips, movies, malls, etc before later meets....walking about gets their wiggles out. Good lunch, rest time, then get the meet plenty early so kids don't feel stressed....its nice that with boys you don't have to do hair at least!!!

Change of clothes is nice in the meet bag too...water bottle, my littlest always brought lego guys to play with ....

I would do something with a light amount of walking. I would not do the movies - they leave me in a coma.

Im with MaryA stay close to where the meet is. Usually we hang out with teammates and families usually do breakfast or lunch then head over to the meet especially if other levels from the gym are competing. Best to your ds and hope you all have fun-it's very exciting doing a travel meet:)

Thanks, all! I think we will skip the big museum and find something closer to do. By the time we sleep-in, eat meals, go for a walk, hang with his teammates, and watch a few cartoons that will probably kill more than enough time.

Thanks, skschlag! All the L4 parents are pretty excited about the trip. I'm sure our enthusiasm will wear off soon enough!

That is cool that your level 4s get to travel! We don't travel until level 7, except for Regionals. travel meets are so much fun!

What is a travel meet?

That's just the term I've heard for a meet that is far enough away to require flights (or a very long drive) and a hotel stay. It may not be a universal term? I hope it is fun, because it sure is expensive!

They are fun! And expensive! DD and I went to her first ever travel meet last winter and it is honestly a memory I will treasure for the rest of my life. This year's travel meet is to the area where my in-laws live, so the whole family is going. I'm sure it will be fun, but I am thinking wistfully of last-year's mother/daughter trip and hoping that next year's travel meet is held somewhere that not everyone is so eager to go!

Good luck! It can be a great opportunity for some bonding time with his teammates. It's always fun for our guys when they get to have some unstructured time together. DS has his first airplane-travel meet this year, and we are really looking forward to it.

I loved the airplane meets :) This year, for the first one, we are all on teh same flight, and 3 of us are staying in the same condo ;) The boys are all 5th grade lelve 7s so it should be fun.

The 2nd one, we are all on the same flight again, but we are taking one of the boys with us because his parents can't go. Haven't told teh boys yet, but they will be so thrilled

I would try to stay in the same hotel as teammates. Then bring some board game that they can play. At regionals, my son's team played Apples 2 Apples. It was fun and good bonding. Movies would work too.

Apples to Apples is my favorite group game. If the kids play join in with the laughs. We played it on Christmas with three generations and we laughed and laughed.

Board games are a great idea! I wasn't planning on packing anything "bulky" like that, but I think you have me sold. It will be a good opportunity for the boys to play together and bond. (Although it will be tough to get them together and yet avoid having them doing backflips off the hotel beds). Thanks!

With apples to apples you could just pack the cards without the box for less bulk. We also take travel Farkle. There is a travel version of would you rather as well

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back