Status
Not open for further replies.

Bug's mom

Proud Parent
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
We're testing 'international' waters in a few weeks, attending our first US meet. Any suggestions on what to expect, aside from exchange rate sticker shock?

Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

raenndrops

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Relative
Oct 24, 2009
The 'Wood, Ohio
Country
USA
It depends on where you are going. Florida vs Southern California vs Northern California vs New York City vs Las Vegas vs Ohio are all totally different experiences :)

1canadiangymmom

Proud Parent
May 13, 2014
Country
Canada
We have done 2 US meets, and the biggest surprises for me were the number of gymnasts, and the really high scores. Here a 9.2-9.4 will most likely get you gold/silver/bronze depending, in the US, these were usually good enough for 14 - 10 place depending. AA scores 36.15 - 36.6 my dd was getting 3rd - 1st place, there looking at 7-10th place. I could not believe the number of 9.7's and up.

Reactions: auswi and Bug's mom

vbdb

Proud Parent
Oct 7, 2015
Country
Canada
Our gym did one last year and we were warned in advance not to expect the kind of placements we were used to here at home. The scoring groups were much bigger whereas at most meets in Ontario they break them up much smaller so everyone gets a medal or ribbon. They were 20+ in a group in the US where they can be 5-10 here.

bogwoppit

Former Admin
Gold Membership
Former Gymnast
Feb 26, 2007
Country
Canada
Our gym did one last year and we were warned in advance not to expect the kind of placements we were used to here at home. The scoring groups were much bigger whereas at most meets in Ontario they break them up much smaller so everyone gets a medal or ribbon. They were 20+ in a group in the US where they can be 5-10 here.

I had no idea they did that, in Quebec groups are very large, usually 25 plus and medals top 3 only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!