Fixing Bent Arms on Bars - drills/conditioning to do on my own?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all!

I'm a retired competitive swimmer (but still mostly in shape), 5'7"/138lb, and brand new to gymnastics. I'm taking an adult gym class that meets once a week, and I've noticed that whenever I go on bars, I have this awful tendency to bend my arms like crazy. I can keep them straight while in front support and mostly during a cast (I bend them slightly as my body comes back towards the bar post-cast), but that's about it. I think part of it stems from my years as a swimmer - my muscles use that bent position every time I take a stroke! They think it's the right thing to do. ;)

As you can imagine, bending my arms makes it pretty darn impossible to do even a simple back hip circle! It draws my hips away from the bar, causing my body to pike & my legs to fall because I don't have enough oomph to finish the skill.

Since I only get about 20-30 min to work on a real bar each week, I'm looking for anything I can do either at home or in the weight room at the university gym that can help me learn to keep my arms straight. Despite being a "swammer" I know I could always use more upper body work (I have lots of slow twitch muscles as I swam distance, so I want to improve my power/fast twitch) and I do core work almost every day as well.

Obviously I want to stay safe and I don't want to teach myself bad habits, but at the same time I'd really love to improve on this. I have a broomstick I can use at home & the weight room has plenty of squat racks that have a pull-up bar at the top. I also have access to dumbbells, stability balls, BOSOs, etc.

TL;DR: Want to stop bending arms on bars. Need both conditioning and drills I can do on my own to fix this bad habit!

Bent arms on bars has nothing to do w/your swimming... most girls, as they're learning new bar skills in the lower levels tend to have bent arms. Hopefully one of the coaches here can post some good drills on how to fix that!

Hi all!

I'm a retired competitive swimmer (but still mostly in shape), 5'7"/138lb, and brand new to gymnastics. I'm taking an adult gym class that meets once a week, and I've noticed that whenever I go on bars, I have this awful tendency to bend my arms like crazy. I can keep them straight while in front support and mostly during a cast (I bend them slightly as my body comes back towards the bar post-cast), but that's about it. I think part of it stems from my years as a swimmer - my muscles use that bent position every time I take a stroke! They think it's the right thing to do. ;)

As you can imagine, bending my arms makes it pretty darn impossible to do even a simple back hip circle! It draws my hips away from the bar, causing my body to pike & my legs to fall because I don't have enough oomph to finish the skill.

Since I only get about 20-30 min to work on a real bar each week, I'm looking for anything I can do either at home or in the weight room at the university gym that can help me learn to keep my arms straight. Despite being a "swammer" I know I could always use more upper body work (I have lots of slow twitch muscles as I swam distance, so I want to improve my power/fast twitch) and I do core work almost every day as well.

Obviously I want to stay safe and I don't want to teach myself bad habits, but at the same time I'd really love to improve on this. I have a broomstick I can use at home & the weight room has plenty of squat racks that have a pull-up bar at the top. I also have access to dumbbells, stability balls, BOSOs, etc.

TL;DR: Want to stop bending arms on bars. Need both conditioning and drills I can do on my own to fix this bad habit!

you need to ask the coaches for very specific conditioning for bars. i could post a hundred things here and you wouldn't know what i was talking about. this includes posting up video also but you wouldn't know what your looking at and could hurt yourself.

the problem, though you might be in good shape, is that your body is that of a former swimmer. the strength/weight ratio required in gymnastics/gymnasts is far different from what you currently have/need to perform gymnastics and that of safely performing skills on a bar.

so, please consult the coaches where you attend. they are the best source of info for you.:)

All good advice above and definitely the best source is your coach who is there on the spot.

You can also work front support holds on the floor - start at 30 seconds and work up. Make sure your shoulders are directly above your hands and your head is at a natural angle, looking at your hands (eg not tucked right in or stuck out at the front). This should keep you going until you're next in the gym and can ask your coach.

she's not going to know what you're talking about ^^^ LOL. :)

she's not going to know what you're talking about ^^^ LOL. :)

Actually, just because my family wasn't able to afford gymnastics lessons when I was growing up doesn't mean that I haven't done my research. :) When I dedicate my time and money to something I'm in it 100%. I was trying to find out if the conditioning I've added to my regular dryland workouts is enough to fix this specific problem I've been having, or if there was something extra I could do to help.

I have already been incorporating front support holds into my dryland, working versions with my feet elevated on a stability ball and with my feet on the floor & my hands on a stability ball as well. Glad to know I was already on the right track. Thanks, rd7!

Well Dunno has decades of high level coaching experience and your question is impossible to answer when you know as much as he does because it could be so many things.

Back in the dark ages when I did my coaching qualification we were taught thumbs over the bar for beginners. Now, at the level I teach at (approx your levels 4/5/6), the newer coaches don't seem to mind either way, probably because you need both eventually, but I have noticed that the girls that bend their arms a lot are the ones with their thumbs wrapped underneath the bar. Something to consider if that's what you're doing (twists the wrists in and the elbows out so arms pretty much have to bend)

Anyway, once you've asked your coach you'll have to come back and let us know what the problem was, good luck with your gym journey.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back