Parents Flat footed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has arch supports in her day to day shoes. She was told to stop wearing any shoe that does not provide arch support (think most sandals, flip flops, crocs). We did find a flip flop that does have arch support and she now wears those. She also does a lot of stretching and rolling per her PT's orders. It has seemed to help. Gymnastics made my daughter flat-footed - she used to have a beautiful, high arch.

Orthotics can be helpful. Absolutely no flip flops, UGG type boots or any shoes without support for any extended period of time. My kids wear runners or Birkenstocks during the summer, good shoes are not cheap but I buy fewer better quality shoes. Both of my DDs are flat footed. They also do exercises provided by our PT to strengthen their arches. Stand with feet shoulder width apart and press them so weight is on the outsides of the feet, it kind of raises arches on the insides.

Orthotics can be helpful. Absolutely no flip flops, UGG type boots or any shoes without support for any extended period of time. My kids wear runners or Birkenstocks during the summer, good shoes are not cheap but I buy fewer better quality shoes. Both of my DDs are flat footed. They also do exercises provided by our PT to strengthen their arches. Stand with feet shoulder width apart and press them so weight is on the outsides of the feet, it kind of raises arches on the insides.
There are now arch supports that you can buy for flip flops and sandals... they are clear and self-adhesive and not super expensive.
I don't have flat feet (though people often think I do ... trust me though - the pain from a "fallen arch" tells me there is one there ... and I can see it when I look at my feet while sitting). I can't wear shoes with built in arch support due to the location of my arch in relation to the length of my foot... so I have to buy arch supports. I like self-adhesive ones because I can cut them down to JUST the arch part and put it exactly where I need it.

My daughter struggles with flat footedness and I swear it has been the root of many of her gymnastics related pain issues.... we have done PT and she continues to do the exercises and I also bought her orthotic inserts from her orthopedist that she wears every day. She wears crocs or other crappy footwear when her time in them will be brief -(like this morning on her way to practice). We have the x-brace and have taped - she doesn't seem to think they help much. Her hips get out of alignment occasionally and again I also think it's related to her feet.

My daughter struggles with flat footedness and I swear it has been the root of many of her gymnastics related pain issues.... we have done PT and she continues to do the exercises and I also bought her orthotic inserts from her orthopedist that she wears every day. She wears crocs or other crappy footwear when her time in them will be brief -(like this morning on her way to practice). We have the x-brace and have taped - she doesn't seem to think they help much. Her hips get out of alignment occasionally and again I also think it's related to her feet.
Lol, I "sanded down" the bumps in my crocs where my arch is, then used self-adhesive arch supports in them (the cut down version ... but first part of the flat area - to raise up to close to even with the bumps) then the arch part. Until snow is on the ground, I will be in my crocs ;)

Her hips get out of alignment occasionally and again I also think it's related to her feet.
Interesting- my daughter is also dealing with her hips getting out of alignment which then causes back pain. I didn't connect that it may have to do with the flat feet.

Interesting- my daughter is also dealing with her hips getting out of alignment which then causes back pain. I didn't connect that it may have to do with the flat feet.
this is what my thoughts were to her regular peds said she has flat feet and her PT has mentioned her hips are missed aligned so I was wondering if the three, back pain, can be connected to her flat feet.

Our pediatric sports medicine doctor recommended Superfeet insoles in her day to day shoes and they seem to be helping.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back