Coaches flinging BWOs on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone!

I haven't been on in a while. I was kinda busy graduating from college. Anyways, I have a big girl job now, and I coach just for fun at my little Y gym on Mondays and Tuesdays. I have missed my girls, but man did they pick up some interesting fears and habits over the last 3.5 years!

We have one who had a fairly consistent BWO on beam, but at some point lost confidence in many of her skills, but has worked at it and will now throw her back walkover on beam. Quickly and crookedly. Over and over and over again. She then gets frustrated that she can't stick them, but resists changes to her back walkover because slowing down, thinking about it and controlling it is "creepy."

So far I just keep pulling her back down to the low beam and spotting trying out focusing on different aspects of her form, starting nice and tall, hand placement, ect. but nothing seems to help yet. All you much more experienced coaches have any ideas?

exactly what you're doing until she makes the correction. over and over.:)

I try to count out a rhythm for them if they rush part or all of a skill. For walk overs I'll say "reach up,reach back, look for where you're going, ..." You'll most likely use your own wording but I try to put a timing to in until they get it on their own. Low beam works wonders. I've also used the stack of mats under the high beam, removing a mat every x number of correct walk overs.

Good luck

For my crooked bwo kid I put her on a floor/low beam with a mat on each side to work going straight. As for any other... It's the same as you say... Repetition on doing it correctly!

When you spot her is she doing it right on the low beam? If she is I'd go with verbal correction and drop the spot so that the skill choices she makes are all her own actions. If there's success there then high beam with a mat, same thing. Spot, if it's being done well, verbal correction and gymnast control of the skill. Then no mat, 2 tries and if she goes back to her bad habit she starts back at the low beam where she knows she can do it. Land 4, high beam with mat, land 4, back to high beam and no mat, 2.

I've had a lot of "miracles" through the running around between beams when it's a matter of making the wrong choices in a skill the gymnast is already competent at. Makes it less of a monster when it's hands off too I think, assuming she's got it on her own and is just making the wrong choice. The absurdity in running around the beam area is pretty lighthearted in action, and mirrors the absurdity of a good gymnast making an absurd skill choice :p

Edit: I wouldn't do it for 6 hours though! Limit the time spent on it is what I would do. Give her 3-6 times in that circuit and see what choices she makes. Keep it light, she'll make the right choice eventually.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back