Floor Music Sites?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SOme good stuff here:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Floor Music express is the best out there with the largest selection but Energym also is very good.

What we found is if its on Energym its also on Floor music express. Energym however you can hear the whole routine music where Floor music you hear only 30 sec for free.

DD found some cool songs we had not heard before at musical-design.com you can listen to some clips or oder a demo CD for not much $$. Demo CD has 28 songs and c omes with a free short version.

Best of Luck it is a long process to find music sometimes and after awhile it all ssounds the same. ;)

I think Floor Music express is the best out there with the largest selection but Energym also is very good.

What we found is if its on Energym its also on Floor music express. Energym however you can hear the whole routine music where Floor music you hear only 30 sec for free.

Thanks - glad you like our music.

Just as a point of clarification, while our company and other companies do have many of the same titles, they are completely different arrangements/recordings. Also, we have many original titles that no other company has, most of which I have written myself. Many of these have been our most well-received tracks.

Thanks,
Larry

Just as a point of clarification, while our company and other companies do have many of the same titles, they are completely different arrangements/recordings. Also, we have many original titles that no other company has, most of which I have written myself. Many of these have been our most well-received tracks.

Thanks,
Larry

This is sort of a tangent, but what is the legal status of arrangements for use as routine music? Does it fall under fair use, or do you need to acquire a license from the copyright holder?

Thanks,
Larry

Yes I have found that to be the case. It was a really hard choice for my DD and she had many choices that were the same titles but different arrangements from both sites. She had a hard time deciding what to submit for approval. She ended up submitting with 2 from floor music and one from energym.

our gym prefers Floormusic express and directs the gymnasts that way but this year the HC did suggest looking at Energym too.

This is sort of a tangent, but what is the legal status of arrangements for use as routine music? Does it fall under fair use, or do you need to acquire a license from the copyright holder?

Here's my understanding to the best of my knowledge. Disclaimer: I am not an attorney. However, we consulted extensively with an attorney who specializes in intellectual property (copyrights) when we started our business.

For Energym to sell a song written by someone else - let's use for example Superstition, written by Stevie Wonder - we must buy a mechanical license which allows us to sell however many copies of that song as we pay royalties for in that license. This means that when you buy a song from Energym, we have properly compensated Stevie Wonder for being the writer of the song.

That license DOES NOT allow us or anyone else to use the original artist's recording - we must produce our own original recording from scratch. It is not legal for us to "edit" Stevie Wonder's recording of the song and re-sell it, even if we say we're just charging for the editing service. Our understanding is that any business who "edits" or "cuts" original artist's recordings for a fee are doing so illegally unless they have secured a special license to do so. Such licenses would cost thousands of dollars to buy for each song.

It would be the same as if you were to download a bunch of songs from ITunes, put them on a CD and sell the CD. It's stealing from the artists even if you claim you are just charging for the service of compiling the song. Copyright law does not allow you to do that. It's called "bootlegging".

Now, if a gymnast wants to edit Stevie Wonder's version of the song and use it "for their own personal use", that is fine AS LONG AS they do not sell the edited song to someone else.

Here's another tangent of the same subject: Gymnasts are not required to get any kind of license to use their floor music in a public setting such as a gym. However, gym owners ARE required to get performance licenses from organizations such as ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC to cover the use of the gymnast's song. This is the same type of license that restaurant owners must buy to play music in their businesses. This way, the composer of the song is compensated for having his/her song played in a public setting. This isn't just a nice thing to do - it's actually part of US law.

Hope this helps. Sorry to go on so long about it. I know that most people don't really understand the details of copyright law and end up crossing the lines without ever realizing it.

Larry Hall
Energym Music, Inc

Here's my understanding to the best of my knowledge. Disclaimer: I am not an attorney. However, we consulted extensively with an attorney who specializes in intellectual property (copyrights) when we started our business.

For Energym to sell a song written by someone else - let's use for example Superstition, written by Stevie Wonder - we must buy a mechanical license which allows us to sell however many copies of that song as we pay royalties for in that license. This means that when you buy a song from Energym, we have properly compensated Stevie Wonder for being the writer of the song.

Where/how does one acquire such a license?

I've been running a business similar to yours, but as far as money is concerned I've only dealt in originals. However, much of my work is arrangements, and I'd love to be able to sell some of them.

Here's another tangent of the same subject: Gymnasts are not required to get any kind of license to use their floor music in a public setting such as a gym. However, gym owners ARE required to get performance licenses from organizations such as ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC to cover the use of the gymnast's song. This is the same type of license that restaurant owners must buy to play music in their businesses. This way, the composer of the song is compensated for having his/her song played in a public setting. This isn't just a nice thing to do - it's actually part of US law.

Wait, this is true for any music used for routines by a gymnast of that gym? If so, this is complete news to me.

Hope this helps. Sorry to go on so long about it. I know that most people don't really understand the details of copyright law and end up crossing the lines without ever realizing it.
No objections here; lotsa good info, and I may end up splitting this off into another thread.

Thanks!

Where/how does one acquire such a license?

I've been running a business similar to yours, but as far as money is concerned I've only dealt in originals. However, much of my work is arrangements, and I'd love to be able to sell some of them.

The mechanical licenses can generally be obtained from the Harry Fox Agency and can be purchased for as low as 25 copies of a song if memory serves. Some publishers don't use Harry Fox and in those cases you have to contact the publishers directly which can take some detective work and persistence.

As far as arrangements go, you can claim arranger credit on a song and collect as the songwriter would IF the song is public domain, such as a Beethoven piece for instance. Arrangements of newer songs generally aren't compensated through royalties otherwise unless a special contract is arranged.

Wait, this is true for any music used for routines by a gymnast of that gym? If so, this is complete news to me

Thanks!

Yes, because the music is being used as a tool of the business. Unfortunately, most gym owners aren't even aware of this, so guys like you and me don't get compensated for our original works when used in meets as we should. It's not a huge deal - it wouldn't generally amount to much money. However, let's say your song is used in the Olympics. There's a fair amount of money to be earned in performance rights when that song is repeatedly played all over the world.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back