Coaches Floor Warm-ups w/Tumbling Strip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The state where I previously lived almost never utilized tumbling strips for meet warm-ups, however it appears that is the norm in my current location. I have been to 1-2 out of state meets previously that did have a tumbling strip, but I just want to make sure I have the ins and outs of it ironed out before my kids start competing. I looked in the R&P but couldn't get definitive answers.
How much time do they get on the tumbling strip? Is it 30 seconds/gymnast and then a 30 sec. touch/bump-in on the competition floor? Do compulsory kids typically do a blocked touch with 4-5 out at once? If that's the case- how many turns do they get?

I figured I would have my kids do the bulk of their warm-up on the tumbling strip and just do a quick turn on the floor to get a feel for it- maybe a front handspring and back pass. But another coach was suggesting they do multiple bump-ins to do all of their floor passes. This was especially confusing for my level 5s who really do not want to do their ro-bhs-back tuck pass across the floor.

Or, if you are in a place that usually has tumbling strips at a meet, what does your level 4/5 warm-up look like?

The state where I previously lived almost never utilized tumbling strips for meet warm-ups, however it appears that is the norm in my current location. I have been to 1-2 out of state meets previously that did have a tumbling strip, but I just want to make sure I have the ins and outs of it ironed out before my kids start competing. I looked in the R&P but couldn't get definitive answers.
How much time do they get on the tumbling strip? Is it 30 seconds/gymnast and then a 30 sec. touch/bump-in on the competition floor? Do compulsory kids typically do a blocked touch with 4-5 out at once? If that's the case- how many turns do they get?

I figured I would have my kids do the bulk of their warm-up on the tumbling strip and just do a quick turn on the floor to get a feel for it- maybe a front handspring and back pass. But another coach was suggesting they do multiple bump-ins to do all of their floor passes. This was especially confusing for my level 5s who really do not want to do their ro-bhs-back tuck pass across the floor.

Or, if you are in a place that usually has tumbling strips at a meet, what does your level 4/5 warm-up look like?
We have only had a tumbling strip at one meet. It was basically used like extra beams are used at our meets... they can warm up as much as they want on the tumbling strip (until it is almost time for them to compete. As for bump in, our L4s and L5s do cross tumbling x2 and lines x2 ... and we usually have 3-4 at a time (currently, we only have 3 L5s).

It will be whatever the meet director says it will. The instructions will change every meet. Can you tell how much I hate tumble strip and bump warm-ups. I feel like the lower the level the more risk, it is too stressful to rush the little ones.
They are so stressful! And I hate how every meet is a little different. I was explaining the warm-up plan to the girls and had to emphasis it's just for this meet, next time will be different.
We have only had a tumbling strip at one meet. It was basically used like extra beams are used at our meets... they can warm up as much as they want on the tumbling strip (until it is almost time for them to compete. As for bump in, our L4s and L5s do cross tumbling x2 and lines x2 ... and we usually have 3-4 at a time (currently, we only have 3 L5s).
Thanks! It's new to me too, but most of the meets around here seem to have them. From what I've gathered it will be like you said, just sort of an open space. I like the idea of cross tumbling x2 and then lines. I have a group of 5, so I think they can all go at once. 2 will do their ro-bhs-bt across the floor but the other 3 will not, so if we don't cross tumble they will just be throwing their tuck in the routine without warming up. I plan to watch what the other level 5 teams are doing to get a sense of what the general consensus is.

They are so stressful! And I hate how every meet is a little different. I was explaining the warm-up plan to the girls and had to emphasis it's just for this meet, next time will be different.

Thanks! It's new to me too, but most of the meets around here seem to have them. From what I've gathered it will be like you said, just sort of an open space. I like the idea of cross tumbling x2 and then lines. I have a group of 5, so I think they can all go at once. 2 will do their ro-bhs-bt across the floor but the other 3 will not, so if we don't cross tumble they will just be throwing their tuck in the routine without warming up. I plan to watch what the other level 5 teams are doing to get a sense of what the general consensus is.
With 5, you could actually rotate who is doing lines versus cross tumbling (have 2 cross tumble while the other 3 do lines along the sides ... then switch ... and remind them that after one crosses "the middle" the other one can start to cross (especially important with 3 to give them ample opportunity).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back