WAG Fly away fears

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gabs

Gymnast
I have all the foundations down but im scared of letting go. Does anyone have any drills that can help with that

Have you done timers before? If you haven't a flyaway timer is when you do tap swings on a bar above a pit, let go when you would let go for your flyaway, and land on your back in the pit or on top of a mat in the pit. This can help you be less scared of letting go of the bar.

There's also a more advanced version of timers that includes the flip a little. For this drill, you'll want to set up a "hill" in front of the bar. To do this, stack up some wedge mats and an 8-incher with the lowest part of the hill facing towards you. Then do a timer off of the bar and land on your back on the top part of the hill and do a backwards roll down the hill to simulate the flip in an actual flyaway. I know that sounds confusing, so I'll attach a link to a video that shows this drill.

As you can see in the video, the gymnast doesn't do a backwards roll down the hill at the end, but I suggest you try it to get more used to flipping. I hope this helps!

If your gym has has spotting belt, you could try doing bent knee fly aways off of the low bar and have your 2 coaches hold the spotting belt ropes so you can flip either from swinging or from holding the forward swing position and releasing from there. That way you can get the feel of where to flip and how to flip safely. Requires a bit of work from either your coaches or a spotting rig.

For your safety and ours, you must be 16 to join the Chalk Bucket. Most sixteen year olds are not struggling with the fly away or asking for coaching advice on the internet.

I’m not speaking on this poster one way or the other, but it’s kinda mean to say that sixteen year olds don’t struggle with flyaways, @txgymfan. Plenty of teens are at lots of levels and have lots of struggles. My 19 year old hasn’t been able to do a flyaway since she was 16. It happens. Sorry to interject, but your post could make people embarrassed to ask about their struggles because they’re made to feel too old for them.

I apologize. I did not mean to offend. The topic, combined with the language etc have me concerned about the OP’s age.

There's also a more advanced version of timers that includes the flip a little. For this drill, you'll want to set up a "hill" in front of the bar. To do this, stack up some wedge mats and an 8-incher with the lowest part of the hill facing towards you. Then do a timer off of the bar and land on your back on the top part of the hill and do a backwards roll down the hill to simulate the flip in an actual flyaway. I know that sounds confusing, so I'll attach a link to a video that shows this drill.

As you can see in the video, the gymnast doesn't do a backwards roll down the hill at the end, but I suggest you try it to get more used to flipping. I hope this helps!

ive already done those but thank you. im just scared letting go

Ask your coach about using other events like the men's Rings or Parallel bars to do fly aways there. You would have to learn some basic ring swing form, but shouldn't be a problem. If your gym has a set of high Parallel bars, you can fly aways off the ends of the bars into a pit, coach spot or just stay tucked and release late and you will flip every time. Doing the same action or mimicking the same movements on other events may help as well, like gainers on trampoline or into a pit, for that traveling forward while rotating backwards feeling.

I have all the foundations down but im scared of letting go. Does anyone have any drills that can help with that
I teach flyaways as backward candlestick rolls at first. If you think of it as a back flip, it will be scary. Think of it more like a backward roll. I imagine you can do a backward roll right? If not, that would be good practice. You can also do short flyaways from the low bar by swinging with knees bent and do a short flyaway with a spot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back