Flying Off the Bar During Level 5 Dismount!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I did my Level 5 dismount for the first time ever 2 years ago at camp. I did it onto a mat and I landed it! :D So, last gymnastics class, when they told us we were going to begin practicing Level 5 dismounts over the pit, I was excited. They taught us how to do them, and then set up stations: one was the dismount on the pit bar.

Well...when it was my turn, I began to swing, and I did my tap swings, and then I turned to the left, tapped the bar with my right hand, but when I let go I went FLYING to the right side {by right, I mean as in after I turned} and I almost cleared the pit!!! {Luckily I didn't!}

My coaches said I just needed to get used to the feeling of the dismount, and that I was probably just nervous and making some silly mistake. But I tried it 3 more times and the same thing happened every time.

Uh, do any of you know why I may have flown off of the bar? It's pretty scary. 0.0 Thanks in advance! :D

Okay, well, I'm not a coach, so I could be wrong. But...
Make sure you are turning at the right time. You should be turning when you are at the highest point in your swing, when you swing forward. And also, you shouldn't grab the bar with your hand. Just tap the bar. That might have thrown you off balance.

The most important thing to remember in this dismount is that you want your toes to come up before the rest of your body (in a hollow shape in front). Then as you turn you maintain the hollow shape. I don't know why someone would go flying off the bar during this particular skill but generally losing control on bars means you're arching. Other than that, it might just be a timing issue. Just keep trying it - I'm sure you'll get it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back