Parents Flying to a meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

momofagymmie

We are flying to a meet in a couple of weeks. I booked early and now the flight schedule has changed so we'll be arriving later in the evening than planned. :eek: My dd competes first thing the next morning. Any tips on how to be rested and travel at the same time???:)

Mom,

No magic bullet for this one. I'd say just have her rest as much as possible before you leave and on the plane if possible. Also, be sure to maintain good nutrition before and during the trip. I also tend to agree with the practice of having a light but quick enery breakfast for your dd when you compete early in the morning. Good luck.

Some of the airlines will allow you to change your flight with out cost if they change your original flight. Can you see if an earler flight is available and change to that?

What meet are you flying to, I will be going to the Sand Dollar at Walt Disney with my level 4 daughter in just under two weeks.

Barb

Some of the airlines will allow you to change your flight with out cost if they change your original flight. Can you see if an earler flight is available and change to that?

Barb, that used to be the case, but the industry has changed quite a bit from it's service minded past.

Now it seems that the airlines will do whatever they want in exchange for affordable ticket prices. USAir being one of the worst in this catagory. They have changed my business flights several times over the last year at the last moment, and basically told me to suck it up and accept it, or pay (again) for a different flight. But by all means try!

As to the OP: I would recommend you isolate your DD's concerns to the meet itself and not discuss any travel concerns with her. She has enough to worry about. Get as much rest as possible, and have a good meal the night before. Stress consumes lots of energy and fuel.

Of course a post-meet report and videos of DD's performance is strongly encouraged. :) Best of luck!

Last edited:
I guess that I am lucky in the fact that with the airline that we are flying I was able to change the return flight at no cost because the airline itself changed the departure time.

I have to agree with Tim_Dad about getting airlines to do anything nice for you at this time. You can always call and ask about getting an earlier flight and what it might cost to change tickets.

Stick some healthy snacks in your carry on and as Bog said drink alot of water(at least for dd)----for you, hey whatever works. At this point you may just have to accept there is nothing you can do and just plan on the later arrival. ITA with the advice of not turning this into a big deal for dd. I'm sure she'll be excited and its amazing to see how these kids can just roll with the punches.

Good luck at the meet!!

Thank you all for your help. The airlines did give me the option to change flights but... the whole schedule changed so we are on the only early flight :eek: Oh well. I haven't said a word to my dd. She's just excited to go! It's a meet in AZ so sun and warmth will be nice. :) Just new to the whole fly to a meet thing...

Thank you all for your help. The airlines did give me the option to change flights but... the whole schedule changed so we are on the only early flight :eek: Oh well. I haven't said a word to my dd. She's just excited to go! It's a meet in AZ so sun and warmth will be nice. :) Just new to the whole fly to a meet thing...

We'll be flying to 2 out of state meets also. One of the moms who has been at the gym for a long time made up a list of things the girls should make sure are packed in their gym bags which they use for carry on. She always has a meeting with the girls before we head out for the 1st trip. Make sure comp leo, warm ups, grips and music(if optional level) are in the gym bag and carried onto the plane. They can usually stuff a day's worth of extra clothes in there and some basic personal items.

Just want to make sure the leo etc end up with you in AZ and not in AK. Now, that would be real stress. Have a great trip!

Great Advice Gym law mom,

When flying to a meet, never put anything needed for the meet in checked luggage. We went to a L5 meet once (years ago) and one girl's luggage didn't make it and all of her meet stuff was in it. There were many frantic phone calls trying to find the missing suitcase, but in the end she had to use my dd's leo and warmups (fortunately they were in different sessions) but her mom had to borrow needle and thread from the hotel to make instant alterations because her dd was smaller. It all worked out in the end, but it was a lesson well learned.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back