WAG Follow-up Poll: Should American gymnasts compete for other countries?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Should American Elite gymnasts be competing for other countries in international competitions?

• Yes, this is fair because it gives the smaller countries more representation in the competition.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Yes, this is fair because it allows gymnasts to compete under their ethnic country.

Votes: 38 64.4%
  • No, this is unfair because the American gymnast takes opportunity away from a native gymnast.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • No, this is unfair because they have trained in our camps and they should stay loyal.

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think if you have a strong family connection and / or you are willing to immerse yourself in that country by spending a significant amount of time there and taking on citizenship or similar yes!

I would also add that if you intend to contribute something to that country's gymnastics programme. As I said on the colleges thread often success breeds success- importing one or two high level gymnasts can mean more success, more public interest, better coaches, more money, more opportunities for local gymnasts. So again probably along with above spending time training and working with other athletes from that country.

For example in the UK money (lottery funding mainly) tends to be distributed according to success, defined often by olympic medals. Rhythmic gymnastics I believe currently has none or very little funding. Hypothetically, you could ship in a russian or two, win a few olympic medals and next cycle there will be more money for better coaching and a better programme, leading to more UK gymnasts at that level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back