Form -competitive gymnasts vs. for fun [funny picture]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi :] Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I really didn't know which one to put it in. I thought this was really funny, at a recent birthday party we had a handstand contest. I looked at this picture and that it was really funny how you could easily tell who were the competitive gymnasts and who did the gymnastics at rec. It's very true though, rec may be for fun, which is great, but a lot of times those gyms don't teach form properly, and the gymnasts doing it for fun focus to much
on getting higher and better skills, rather than focusing on their form.
toes.jpg

That's so funny!!! But sooo true!!! That reminds me of just the other day I came a bit early to pick up dd from practice so I watched a little bit of the end. They were doing handstand drills and seeing how far they could walk on their hands. Well, I saw dd and was so surprised at how BEAUTIFUL her FORM was and how long she could walk on her hands and still keep her TOES POINTED and LEGS STRAIGHT!!! I was soo excited for her!!! I know that sounds so silly, but I thought to myself "this is what gymnastics is all about!" She could always do handstands but to see the difference in form since switching to gymnastics is just AMAZING!!!!

I would have to disagree with an overgeneralization. I'm in a rec tumbling group right now, but I care a lot about form. Maybe its just because I really WANT to learn how to do it right, but I told my coach that I want to learn how to do things with proper form and not just "how to throw the skill" like some other people in my class.

I would have to disagree with an overgeneralization. I'm in a rec tumbling group right now, but I care a lot about form. Maybe its just because I really WANT to learn how to do it right, but I told my coach that I want to learn how to do things with proper form and not just "how to throw the skill" like some other people in my class.
Oh i know, there are people like you who care about their form,which is great! but for the most part the rec in our area, the form isn't that great.

HI, I'm new here. My son was the competitive gymnast, but this photo made me smile! If you take the girls with the good form but put them in 17 feet of water, having them do those straight handstands with good form and that much leg height out of the water without touching the bottom of the pool, you have my daughters' sport- synchronized swimming.

I know a lot of people make fun of it, but it is a very difficult and fun sport. Gymnasts make great synchro swimmers BTW!

My son left gymnastics a few years ago, but I still love the sport. He was training Class III when he quit which I think is the equivalent of level 8. He then took up diving.

:rotfl:SO FUNNY! If you focus on your form it doesn't matter if your competitive or rec. I've seen some competitors who have bad form. It depends if you are working or not. Funny though! :D

aww i love itt! thats how i feel when im in the pool with my like soccer player friends.... i have pointed toes and locked knees just outta habbit while my friends legs are flailing and flexed feet ahaha :]

i would have to say its pretty funny.

i coach some girls that have really nice form in handstand some do it in rec and some just do it at school. so its really people with good form vs. people who have bad form.

I only did rec gym, but I'd have to say that I do my handstands in a pool with my legs straight and toes pointed cos it's way easier to hold especially when you're doing a one handed handstand so that you can hold your nose with the other hand (I hate water up my nose and just can't manage the whole blowing out thing). :)
As a rec coach, I insist on straight legs and pointed toes and tight body. I don't get it from all my kids, but I've got a whole group of kids in one class who all work pretty hard on their form. Yay for them... cos it makes my coaching happier.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back