Former Gymnasts? -don't know where to post this

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I was wondering if any one who has stopped doing gymnastics has noticed that they no longer are as flexible. I know it is to be expected but what have you done to gain back that flexability? I have this desperate need to get back to how body moved 3 years ago. :(

You will use it or lose it over time. In some cases, you might never get back to the Range of Motion you had if you go without using it long enough ( year to 5 years).

My front splits suck but seeing as I don't care about them, I'm not too concerned. I'm still close enough though it would probably be good for my flexibility to get them both down. I still maintain my middle split and bridge flexibility by working them a few times a week.

I stopped doing gymnastics for 20 years before heading back to the gym. My flexibility is horrible. My legs I can deal with but my shoulders and back are like wooden boards. I can do back handsprings, but I can't do a backwalkover and can barely do a bridge at all.

Stretch, stretch, stretch! Warm up and stretch just like you did as a gymnast. Stretch often. That's the only real way to maintain flexibility. You could also try yoga, which includes plenty of stretching in its poses.

~Katy

i went in to splits a couple years ago...my family had to call lift truck to get me back up...:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back