Parents Freaked out momma--injury and state meet this weekend?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

meganliz77

Proud Parent
Well I picked up DD tonight from practice. She said she tweaked her wrist after a teammate was horsing around trying to 'scare' her while she was working on on ROBHS-BT. It worked. She balked during her round off and landed strange on her wrist.

It was iced and she continued the practice. She reported no pain when not using it, looks a bit swollen maybe, hurts some to put pressure down on it, and when you touch it.

I iced it after practice too and gave ibuprofen. Hoping it's nothing a day of rest won't fix... State meet is this weekend and she cannot even consider not competing! She was on pace to have a GREAT meet...

The injuries and threat of injuries in this sport honestly freak me out the most...momma bear x100...

Please send positive thoughts her way!!

Hope she feels better tomorrow. Talk to her coaches about taping it to provide more support. I personally would take her in to an ortho urgent care if she is not feeling better but if you do that you have too go in knowing their is a chance she is coming out in at least a brace and 2 weeks rest.

If you don't get it checked out and she hurts it worse at the meet you will really freak out.

I'd also be talking to hc about how the injury happened.

Horsing around trying to scare someone on a tumble? Not on. They all need a severe talking to at the very least- they are lucky it was *only* a wrist.

Agreed and already addressed it with coach. She wasn't out there when it happened, another coach was. It will be addressed with that coach and girls today. Goofing off is normal for kids but they have to understand it can't happen on the gym floor. It was dangerous and could have been much worse.

She will rest it today and tomorrow... Ice and ibuprofen. Then last practice is Thursday. We will see how she's feeling and may take her in then. No apparent swelling to my naked eye, full mobility in it, but says there is soreness when she uses it (not resting).

Frustrating that what appears to be her first injury occurred like this and right before state... She also is slated to score out of 5 before end of December and then start optionals in January.

Just another opinion :)

My latest reading on the subject (though I am an academic pharmacologist, not a medical dr) suggests that ice and ibuprofen can slow the healing process by reducing swelling and inflammation. The inflammatory process brings more blood and tissue repair products to the injury site.

Latest thoughts are ice alone isn't useful. If you must do something, 15 mins ice, 15 mins heat alternately.

If she doesn't have practice I'd leave it alone if she can manage. Reducing the pain killers will also mean she doesn't overdo it in the meantime. Save the brufen and ice for her next practice/comp when she'll want pain management. Gentle stretching and mobilisation, and rest.

Worth having a read around :)

Just another opinion :)

My latest reading on the subject (though I am an academic pharmacologist, not a medical dr) suggests that ice and ibuprofen can slow the healing process by reducing swelling and inflammation. The inflammatory process brings more blood and tissue repair products to the injury site.

Latest thoughts are ice alone isn't useful. If you must do something, 15 mins ice, 15 mins heat alternately.

If she doesn't have practice I'd leave it alone if she can manage. Reducing the pain killers will also mean she doesn't overdo it in the meantime. Save the brufen and ice for her next practice/comp when she'll want pain management. Gentle stretching and mobilisation, and rest.

Worth having a read around :)

Thank you!!! I was nervous about the Motrin because I didn't want her thinking today that she was "all better" because the soreness was magically gone... Then doing something to really mess it up.

I hope she heals quickly, but if not better by tomorrow I would probably see a doc just to make sure. Traumeel cream helped tremendously for my dd when she tweaked her knee a while back. You can order it with overnight shipping on amazon. There is the Traumeel brand and also T relief, I think they have the same active ingredient. We always do ice for the first few days and then switch to heat seems to work for us, although we've only had minor ankle or knee tweaks so far. nothing major.

I'm glad your coach is taking this seriously and addressing it with the girls. I hope that the girl realizes that trying to "scare" someone when throwing a skill is not at all appropriate and even dangerous. Does this same girl do this kind of thing often? I would certainly be addressing it again with the coach if it continues over the next few weeks. ((((HUGS))) to your dd, I hope she is able to compete with no major issues this weekend.

Oh, no!

My DD tweaked her upper thigh last week just two days before she competed state. We massaged, worried, heated, worried, rolled, and ibuprofened like crazy.

(Poor girl was a wreck, and I didn't know until after the meet, but she never even told her coaches! We had ourselves a little chat after that discovery.)

With where the pain was and what DD was able to do, we were pretty sure it was 'just' a fairly mild muscle strain. A wrist injury would probably make me a little more nervous. If it isn't getting better, I'd probably have it peeked at and get official recommendations regarding resting, etc.

Glad coach is addressing the other issue!!

I'm glad your coach is taking this seriously and addressing it with the girls. I hope that the girl realizes that trying to "scare" someone when throwing a skill is not at all appropriate and even dangerous. Does this same girl do this kind of thing often? I would certainly be addressing it again with the coach if it continues over the next few weeks. ((((HUGS))) to your dd, I hope she is able to compete with no major issues this weekend.[/QUOTE]

No she doesn't do this often... She's older than my DD- 11 or 12, and a verrrry sweet girl. She felt awful after it happened.

A hard lesson learned for all of them.....

The hurting when she puts pressure on it makes me nervous...this is how my DD's was with a growth plate fracture. Hopefully this is not the case for your DD. Sorry this happened to her, I would be livid with that teammate!

Just picked her up from school and she is professing she is 100% pain free! Says it feels completely normal! Light practice today, under coaches watchful eye, and we will continue to cross our fingers that all is okay! She promised me (mind you she's 8) but said she would let coach or me know asap if there was even the slightest bit of discomfort...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back