Free hip wrist action

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

Jennykait

I have always struggled with free hips. I have one in my routine on the high bar, which I swing right into from a front uprise. The problem I usually have is that I can't seem to master the proper wrist action involved in the skill. I usually end up with my forearm getting stuck on the bar as I complete the skill. On Tuesday, I really tried to flick my wrists around the bar, but ended up peeling off and had a nasty, scary fall. Of course, I keep playing it over and over in my head. Luckily, landed in a good position (although somehow on the other side of the uneven bars) and just have some really nasty bruises on my upper thighs. I just don't even know how to approach the skill again. My coaches just tell me to "switch" my wrists while maintaing pressure on the bar and I can't seem to do this. Any thoughts?

Jenny,
Are you making sure you push your shoulders back as you drop into the free hip? This will help develop a faster rotation. The wrist flick happens at the same time as the arm pull when you do your shoot action. You may be holding on for "dear life" as you rotate and shoot. It's a scary feeling. Do you wear grips? Are they dowel grips? Even with no grips, try this drill to gain confidence in your grip. Stand in front of the low bar and grab it with straight arms, hands gripping the bar as far over as they will go. Keep your grip tight and arms tight and straight. Next, flick the wrists still grabbing the bar tight with straight arms. You should still have a tight grip after the flick action and arms should still be straight. Concentrate on the wrist flick on simple cast, back hip circles. Don't ever loosen the grip to rotate faster. That's dangerous. Think about these tips and try them out. I hope they are of some help. :)

Oh yeah, I wear dowel grips and have for a long time.
It is so stupid how these issues come up with "simple" skills. I can do an overshoot, but I can't do the basic part of a free hip. I guess that is what adult gymnastics is, huh?
Thanks for the tip, I will let you know how it goes.

I have to admit I struggle with the wrist flick too. I can't seem to shift my hands very well. At least my new grips keep me from pinching my palms really bad but I still don't shift until the pull of my body forces it. Thanks for the tip Littlelady. I will try that drill too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back