Free hips...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How to do them? I have a above horizontal cast and my coach says I should work on free hips. My coach has'nt really told me how to do them so... lol someone could tell me than I would be greatful. _Dahl

well you do a back hip circle with your hips not on the bar. so you cast to horizontal then push away from the bar while your doing the back hip circle. I am not very good at explaining these kinds of things so i hope i helped?!:)

well you do a back hip circle with your hips not on the bar. so you cast to horizontal then push away from the bar while your doing the back hip circle. I am not very good at explaining these kinds of things so i hope i helped?!:)

But if you push away (eleminate shoulder angles) Would'nt your feet hit the floor. Low bar.

yes but you try to push away with your shoulder angle straight up and down. and if you bend your arms you will not get all the way around. do you get it or not realy?

How to do them? I have a above horizontal cast and my coach says I should work on free hips. My coach has'nt really told me how to do them so... lol someone could tell me than I would be greatful. _Dahl
ok you will cast to horizontal and instead of coming back to the bar, you will continue to keep going around the bar. its like a back hip circle without touching your hips:)

I was told to pre tend your scooping icecream, scoop your feet under the bar then shoot them over the bar, but dont bend your elbows! And you need to flick your wrists around the bottom of the bar so you shoot up and not just slide around. make sure when you come around at the end, your feet and body reaches horizontal again, it's not a good free hip if you shoot your feet back down. Hope i helped :)

A strong cast and the ability to stay tight and hollow is very important for a free hip. As you are returning your hips to the bar, drop your shoulders back into the hip circle before your hips get to the bar. Stay very tight and hollow. As your toes get to vertical, pull the bar over your head (this part is a lot like a back extension roll). When first learning a clear hip, you are going for being at horizontal when you complete the circle, but eventually you want the circle to end in a handstand.

Think of it like a back hip circle where you jump the gun; that is, rather than waiting for your hips to get back to the bar to start the circle, pull your chest back HARD before your hips come in contact with the bar. This will give you the first half; the second half is just a push out as you pass back over the bar.

Timing is crucial.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back