FRESH CUT MUSIC... Opinions Please.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

emacmommy

Hope this works... it's a first for me to post music online this way. I've been cutting for awhile now. Please do not pirate this music. I didn't post to YouTube, mostly because I've never done it before, but I also feel it's too easy to pirate there. Not that I think my Shutterfly account is any better, but maybe.

I like to have unique music for my gymnasts if they so choose, not all do and this one happens to be a senior this year and only a L8. I wouldn't mind making this available to anyone outside our region (R3), but please ask and I will send. I'm not sure the title of this, I've been told they got it from a video game.

I'm pretty sure this site isn't password protected...
http://wyomingmcphersoncrew.shutterfly.com/

Play the slide show video and the music will be in the background.

I love it, my oldest shares the same name with the gymnast and she also uses a techno song. How long is the cut you made?

I like it

my only concern is you said it came from a video game music - It may be copywrite protected. Have you checked that out.

I'm not using it to sell, and I didn't charge my gymnast for the cut job. I believe she purchased the song from iTune and we can alter the song for our purpose as we need, as long as we aren't circulating for our own profit. That's how I understand the copyright laws. Never had any problems using my own cuts of music for private floor routine uses before. Been doing it since I was a competitive gymnast.

Pretty sure I can "hand down" the music as necessary as long as I'm not financially benefitting from it, but if anyone knows any different, let me know.

I'm not using it to sell, and I didn't charge my gymnast for the cut job. I believe she purchased the song from iTune and we can alter the song for our purpose as we need, as long as we aren't circulating for our own profit. That's how I understand the copyright laws. Never had any problems using my own cuts of music for private floor routine uses before. Been doing it since I was a competitive gymnast.

Pretty sure I can "hand down" the music as necessary as long as I'm not financially benefitting from it, but if anyone knows any different, let me know.

I've spent a fair amount of time trying to understand copyright laws since it is pertinent to my business. My understanding is that yes - you can do whatever editing, copying, etc you want to do for your own use.

However, if you are "distributing" it, whether or not money is involved, you are in violation of copyright law. Reference the huge Napster lawsuits from a few years ago. Money was not exchanged, but recordings were distributed without proper compensation to the artists and songwriters, thus in violation.

So, yes - you can edit a song for a gymnast if that gymnast bought the recording. You cannot "hand it down" to other gymnasts without being in violation.

Again, I'm not a lawyer. But I have spent more than 25 years as a writer/composer and have spent many hours in discussion with lawyers and music biz professionals on the subject. Hope that helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back