Friends outside of gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been having a problem lately, especially since summer started, and wondering if anyone else could relate

Now, I'm not even sure if this is a bad thing, but lately I've noticed that I am SO close to my teammates and former teammates that when I want to hang out with someone I default to them. Even though I have lots of close friends this kind of rips on my friendships from school, because they all hangout together and i have trouble balancing all of my friends equally.

Also, there are times when they ask me to hang out but I have practice or already something going on. This makes our strained time even more limited and our friendships even more weak.

Does anyone else have this problem? It's really frustrating. :(

~Kyra~

I have this problem and know exactly how you feel, it almost seems like they plan everything on friday nights! which of course i always have training or a competition the next morning. I know it sucks but it is part of gymnastics, i feel like i see my friends at school on average like 35 hours a week, and my gym friends 12 hours a week. So i almost always resort to gym friends because i feel like i never know what is happening with my school friends because we never hang out anymore.

You could try and have a sleepover at your house and invite all your friends (if its ok with your parents) and get to know them again and let them see that you really want to be friends with them its just training is very important to you. If they are true friends they will understand and maybe about once a month or so you guys can plan on getting together when you are all free

I have this problem too. I don't really have any good friends that are not teammates except for one. I hate that, because sometimes I feel left out when everyone is talking about what they did over the weekend at school. I mean, I have a group of friends that I hang out with at school, but I never hang out with anyone other than gym friends and that one person outside of school. And if I do...it doesn't happen very often!

I think its pretty natural to be closest friends with the people you spend the most time with. But I think its a good idea to stay friends with people outside of gym too. If gymnasts are only friends with other gymnasts, and then you get injured or retire from gymnastics, then you won't have any friends left (because your former teammates won't see you). I know its not so simple, but just an idea.

From the guy who hates cliques.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! That happens to me all the time! In front of my out of gym friends, I am always shy and reserved, and I can almost never go to parties and whatnot because of practice. With my gym friends, I always tell them everything and act like myself (though I'm focused and quiet while we're actually training) and am generally a lot closer to them. Also, I had two friends who invited me to sleepover - one from gym and one not, and obviously, I preferred to hang out with the one from gym! Plus, I have almost nothing to talk about with my regular friends. With my gym friends, we always talk about team/gym/coach drama. If I try telling my other friends about it, they get bored! That's just the way things are! Sometimes I think it's worth it though, because I know I'll have my gym friends for a long time and we go through so much together, while school friends might just come and go! Sorry I can't be much help...but I know EXACTLY what you mean!

I have the same problem! Even though I have plenty of friends at school, I dont feel REALLY close to alot of them.My closest friends are my team mates and friends at the pool. Almost all my friends at the pool are competitive, year round swimmers so they understand. The other good thing is you don't have to schedule to see them, you see them almost every day, just like your team mates.:) In front of my school friends, I don't always feel included because I can't go to the parties or movies especially friday nights.

Actually, I have the opposite problem. I don't really have any close friends except for one friend that I met when I was like 2. Lol. I was hoping to find some friends at gymnastics but most of them are younger than me or older than me. Which, let me just say, is plain bad luck... I didn't really connect with any of them; many don't share the same values. Plus we have a really small team; only about 6 or 7 girls at level 5 for example. There are a ton of level 4s but they tend to quit or switch gyms at the turning point. :confused:

I don't have friends at school because I'm homeschooled, although I'll be going to high school next year.

Unfortunately, this is the one gym in the area we can afford xD So yeah. Kind of stuck with it.

Actually, I have the opposite problem. I don't really have any close friends except for one friend that I met when I was like 2. Lol. I was hoping to find some friends at gymnastics but most of them are younger than me or older than me. Which, let me just say, is plain bad luck... I didn't really connect with any of them; many don't share the same values. Plus we have a really small team; only about 6 or 7 girls at level 5 for example. There are a ton of level 4s but they tend to quit or switch gyms at the turning point. :confused:

I don't have friends at school because I'm homeschooled, although I'll be going to high school next year.

Unfortunately, this is the one gym in the area we can afford xD So yeah. Kind of stuck with it.

I am in a smilar situation. But my friends kind of left because I am at the gym when ever they to things (Friday nights). Sometimes I can, but they quit inviting me.

I have a similar problem, yoo. I do have friends in both sides, but most of them are girls. I deal a lot better with girls because I always grewth with lots of girls (cousins, friends, aunts, etc.) and I always hated football, so I hate to be with other guys when they are talking of sports and stuff. I really don't know how to solve this.

I have the same problem.

I hang out with my one school friend and then go to gymnastics and hang with my gym friends.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News