Frog legs??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Without further adieu have you have to place a piece of foam between her knees and squeeze it in order to keep it from flying out as she flips over. Then have her put it between her feet. The goal is to make it all the way over without letting the foam escape.

Hand stand pike downs are a good drill to help get the feeling of straight legs but make sure she bends the knees after the balls of the feet touch the floor. The pike down should be to the balls of the feet with straight legs at which point she bends the knees slightly to stand up simulating the back handspring.

High back handsprings that dive back on trampoline are good for drills. The long dive back gives you time and distance so that you can really concentrate on fully pushing the legs out until they are straight.

When I first got my ROBHS it was really froggy because I didn't understand the technique; I was just throwing myself backward. In a correctly performed BHS, when your hands hit the ground you're in a tight arch shape, and then as soon as they hit you snap off of them into a hollow. So you might want to think about that arch/hollow action instead of just trying to get over. You also need to have good turnover on your roundoff in order to have enough power to do a good BHS. At my gym we do a drill where we put a big squishy mat against the wall and do a roundoff off a panel mat right in front of it and slam to our backs. The idea is to hit your back off the wall and your feet on the floor at about the same time with almost straight legs and your arms against your ears so you're ready for the BHS. HTH!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back