front flyaway progressions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

taximom

Hi everyone
My DD has been struggling with fear in regards to her backwards flyaway on bars. She has fear of everything backwards basically.
Today at training here coach mentioned trying a front flyaway. She has 2 coaches one has never taught a front flyaway before and the other has only done it once. Any drills drills or tips to pass along would be fantastic!
Thanks so much!

I was in the exact same situation, and I now compete a front flyaway!

The best option would be training it over a pit to start; is this an option? At that point, I just swung a few times and let go to fall on my stomach in the pit. Once I got used to that, I started to tuck and flip them.

After I started flipping, I was still a bit low height-wise. To help that and get used to kicking into the flip, I'll hang on the bar in reverse grip and do reverse tap swings; hollow forward and arch back.

Once she's feeling comfortable flipping it into the pit, move it on up to the bar. They're honestly pretty easy once you get them... she'll do it once and want to do 15 more, if she's anything like me. :)

Hope I helped! Let me know if you have questions!

Unfortunately no pit under bars but we sometimes "make one using mats and moving the foam in". I hope she is like you! Perhaps I'll book her a private lesson and they can make the piot for her! Thanks so much!

Honestly, as long as the kid holds on (doesn't peel off underneath), this is pretty easy to try in my opinion. So a good back swing, heel drive, to flat drop would be essential to work on, but otherwise I think it's not too bad. Very difficult to hit the bar from tap swings. Making it high enough to catch a jaeger and starting it from a tap out of a front giant is harder, but initiating it from swing isn't bad. 3/4 layout to back first in the pit is a good lead up, and you could probably do that on a resi. It's a pretty easy spot, not much different than a straddle back handstand to start. If the kid had never done a straddle back handstand, I might start with that if they had trouble with the "idea" of the whole thing. If she has thrown a straddle back handstand before, it's not much different than the idea of that with some more rotation from the arms or a tuck.

2 suggestions - tell the coach to teach it as they would a jaeger.

If that's still a no go, pancake spot on he low bar. Easy.

From there its all about learning how to "tap" into the position for the release... And for that you can hand spot the high bar, or use straps. Full extension of the shoulders and hips on the back swing, feel the let go when the floor is directly under her chest. The way to check that for her is she should see the floor flat under her, not at an angle.

I hope that makes sense...

The tap is key. It should be the exact opposite of a regular tap swing; that is, arch on the way down in front, hollow through the bottom, and then arch again on the way up leading into the release. I often find it helpful to think about pressing the chest down on release, to counter the natural tendancy to pull it up and kill the rotation.

Once you get the tap figured out, you can generate a shocking amount of rotation fairly easily. I have one boy who can turn a double front flyaway out of a horizontal tap swing.

O-kay dumb gym mom question......does the front flyaway have to done in reverse grip or is it possible from a regular grip? She hopes to compete Level 6 here if she figures this flyaway thing out. Current bar routine was kip, cast, pikeon sole circle, Long kip, cast handstand backwards flyaway. Of course the flyaway has been issue.... Thanks again for all the great advice!

It can be done out regular grip, backswing. Of course you have to get facing the other way without doing extra swings, which can be tricky. I have seen girls do front swing down (out of cast or giant), half turn (early blind change to regular grip, front swing, back swing to front flyaway. So it's possible. It would probably get an amplitude deduction if the half turn was below horizontal, but that probably depends on the level in general. Also, swinging forward into a back release (dismount or straddle back or whatnot) is not an extra swing under JO rules, but I think it might be under FIG rules if your competitive stream uses those.

So level 6 Canada? I would of course ask the coach but my suggection for par routine would be kip cast handstand step down sole circle kip cast away to blind change front flyaway. A bunch of level 7's do this dismount and all the ones I have seen do it from a mixed grip

My DD tried some of these drills tonight at practice. On the way home she tells me that front flyaways are much easier than backwards! Of course the other Mom's are telling me that their DD's think mine is crazy! Thanks for all the helpful advice Hopefully she'll be flying away in no time!

Thanks to everyone for the drills and advice! DD asked me to thank-you she did her front flyaway dismount yesterday and today in her bar routine!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back